Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Brat is undergoing work this weekend...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Carb

Mr. Carb

Weather Geek

• Members
  • 893 posts
  • Shoreline, WA

Posted 03 September 2004 - 04:03 AM

I'm doing work to my brat over the weekend, alot of work depending on how smoothly things go... First, I'm gonna replace that wheel bearing hub, with one good one from a parts car... Next, I'm installing rear disc brakes onto the car. Then, I'm gonna rip apart the interior and completly rebuild it, cleaning out all the ventalation ducts cause they stink like bad smoke. Previous owner was a smoker. Then I'm replacing the y-pipe. I will be adding pictures in my garage website and info as it progesses. I'm hoping to get all but the interior done this weekend. :brow: I'm looking into getting a second car to drive to work while I do major work to the brat to bring it all up to good shape. I may even get it repainted in the next comming months.:)

#2 theDirtyRue

theDirtyRue

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • Gig Harbor

Posted 03 September 2004 - 04:21 AM

Awesome. Obviously you decided to keep it and it was worth enough to you. I hope everything goes smoothly in the coming weeks.

Good luck,

#3 Mr. Carb

Mr. Carb

Weather Geek

• Members
  • 893 posts
  • Shoreline, WA

Posted 03 September 2004 - 04:23 AM

Yep, I just need to find something to drive while it undergoes major work:lol:

#4 aba4430

aba4430

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Royston, GA

Posted 03 September 2004 - 04:42 AM

I would like to hear details of the interior work you are doing. For example, on my 87 Brat, I need my seats (drivers side mostly, but will do both for matching purposes) re-upholstered, carpet replaced, cover the single large dash crack with a cover etc. I'd like some leads etc.

Regards,
aba4430

#5 Mr. Carb

Mr. Carb

Weather Geek

• Members
  • 893 posts
  • Shoreline, WA

Posted 03 September 2004 - 06:52 AM

Basically, when I got the car, the insides were trashed with cigar ash, and all ripped up, so I just pulled tan seats and carpet, and a centercouncle out of an 86 hatch back sitting in PAP. and threw them in for now. I used the tan colored ones because they were in perfect condition. no rips or nothing. When I find blue replacements, I'll be changing it back to blue and selling the tan carpet and seats and so on. The part I'm going to work on is the dash, I'm tearing the whole dash out, and cleaning out everything in it. like all the pipes for the ventalation system, I'm even going to take and wash out and blow out the heater core it's self. Everytime I kick on the defrost a layer of dust coats everything in the car, and it's brown dust, not grey dust. Thats mainly what I'm doing on the interior. As far as getting interier parts fixed, like seats and what not, it's probably cheeper to get good ones out of the junkyard, or ocasionally some pop up in the market place.

#6 DrKrazy

DrKrazy

Which one to drive today?

• Members
  • 935 posts
  • Golden

Posted 03 September 2004 - 08:26 AM

As far as getting interier parts fixed, like seats and what not, it's probably cheeper to get good ones out of the junkyard, or ocasionally some pop up in the market place.

Aye I'm learning that lesson as we speak. Recovering my back seat, back dash, etc...materials can be cheap but the labor gets time consuming and going on 2 weeks without a back seat now..speaking of which I better get to work.

#7 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 03 September 2004 - 08:33 AM

Got some work ahead of you! Put a post in the Meet/Greet about a work session. Maybe you can get some extra hands in there to help :)

#8 Mr. Carb

Mr. Carb

Weather Geek

• Members
  • 893 posts
  • Shoreline, WA

Posted 04 September 2004 - 02:13 AM

Well, it's not going very smoothly, most of the stuff is frozen together still on the front hub, and my brand new cv axle is already broken. The outer boot ripped already (1 week old) so I'm gonna have to take the axle back to the store. For now, I'm just going to wait til daylight to pound away on the hub to get it lose. It's attached really well to the steering knuckle. I can't get it to budge without making alot of noise. I'll be working on it again after 6pm tomarrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users