Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4WD Front Disc Hub on Rear Disc Rotor?

Will the front hub on 4WD L series bolt onto the rear disc rotor from anotehr 4WD L series?

This would be in context with someone converting drums to discs on a 4WD L series. If one was to buy brand new rotors, remanufactured calipers, and make their own backing plates... would they be able to use the hubs from the front of a donor car on the rear ?

Thankfully I grabed everything from a junkyard car I needed but not everyone can do that.

Thanks!

The bolt pattern for the 4 bolts that hold the hub to the rotor are different. :mad: I had the idea to put front rotors and calipers on the rear too, but the benefit vs. fabrication time isn't worth it (to me, at least)

Damn they wont even bolt on eh? :banghead:

I didn't investigate it too far, but maybe it is possible to make a hybrid outer CV joint with the splined part from the front mated with the rest from the rear. If I had some old axles lying around I would check, maybe someone else has tried already? :confused: but there may be other incompatibility issues as well.

Here's another twist...

How about rear disks from a 4wd and 2wd? How much of those assemblies are interchageble?

Anyone know the specifics on those 2 systems?

John

As near as I can tell the only difference between the 2WD and 4WD disk setups on the EA82T is the backing plate and hub. Rotor, caliper, and pads are all the same.