Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Variety of concerns: turbo, smoke, gas smell

You all have really helped me in the past and I have some questions for before I take a 3000 mile trip. I just had a trip checkup and they tell me my turbo may be going. It blows smoke out the hood scoop after going up hills or after the turbo has engaged. It shows when I stop at a light or stop. I don't use the turbo much as most of my driving is city but here in CO we have pretty high hills and that's when it blows smoke. The mechanic said it may be seals in the turbo and suggests a new turbo. How bad does it sound and will it be OK to keep driving as is, especially across country?

Next, I smell a strong fuel or gas smell when the car is idling or after I stop or at a light. I had my fuel injectors cleaned and a tuneup in July. Any connection? What should I look for?

Lastly, the mechanic told me he should take a good look at my belts and timing belt. How will I know if it really needs replacing and I'm not getting ripped off to the tune of $600 or so? What does a worn timing belt look like? My other belts are kind of dry but we couldn't see the timing belt until we take off the cover.

Thanks for your advice!

i'm sorry to hear of a touring wagon having problems. I couldnt imagine how i'd feel if that happened.

and you're using your turbo on a daily basis. ej22t's build up to max boost at 2800 rpms, it's nearly impossible to drive without going to at least 2500. You could probably pick up a used wrx turbo for pretty cheap. I'd imagine you wouldnt have the low end, but up high you would, if wanted, be capable of producing more boost.

I'd also imagine that running the car until the timing belt died wouldnt be a huge concern, as most subaru engines are non-interference, including the ej22s.

also, the reason for the smoke could be oil dripping somewhere, getting hot on the turbo, and then coming out of the chimney... perhaps give your engine a good cleaning drive it for a couple days, and see if there's any new oil

Yeah, I'm with Laurel -- if the smoke is coming out the scoop it's probably not a dying turbo. I'd expect failing turbo seals to toss oil into the intake airstream, causing smoke at the tailpipe rather than out the chimney. Is the turbo louder than normal?

Actually, smoke from any part of the engine bay can find its way out the hood scoop. When my valve cover gaskets on my 97 Legacy GT were leaky the scoop would smoke at stoplights.

It could also be one of the oil lines on the turbo. If it's the feed line, the copper gaskets are pretty easy to replace. Valve cover gaskets are pretty easy too.

So, yeah, degreasing the engine bay and then seeing where the oil appears sounds like a good idea.

I don't want to give you bad advice, so realize that this is a completely unprofessional opinion, but it seems to me that if you can stand the smoke and if you check the oil level often, this shouldn't be a show-stopper for your 3000-mile trip. Of course, it'd be way better for everyone if you could fix it before leaving.

This may seem like a really stupid question, but how do you clean the engine? Is there anything that shouldn't get wet? Just take it to the carwash and use the engine degreaser setting? Thanks! BTW, It used to smoke the same way when the power steering fluid was leaking onto the metal. I replaced a small hose and it stopped.

I think the way most people like to do it is to cover all the electrical parts you can with plastic bags, use a rag and some Simple Green to scrub, and then rinse it off with low-pressure water.

I've never done that though; if I suspect a particular area I often just use brake cleaner.

I would try and not get a huge amount of water in the sprk plug holes and the coils on top the engine, (were the spark plugs go to). You could stuff some rags in the holes. Ive presure washed a couple 1 gen legacys engines and have never had a problem with hurting any thing. I would be care full of getting the high presure water on the hoses tho becasue of 10+ years of extreme heat genertaed by the tubro they me pretty britle and break. And those turbo vacume lines cna get pretty tricky to replace.

What color smoke is coming out of your tail pipe. Is it blue, black, or white?

I thought you could replcae the gaskets on most tubros if they blow, my friend has had them replcaed with his supra.

If you do need a replcament turbo i wouldent buy one from subaru it would cost a arm and a leg, when you could get a WRX, or any other sube turbo for much less.

I just got the car back from the shop. At 148K it looked like it may have been the original timing belt and thermostat! I'm glad I had them changed. Also, what this mechanic thought was the smoke was from leaky valve cover gaskets. I did also do what you folks suggested and got a new water pump while I was in there. Thanks for all your help! Still have the gas smell tho. He said I would probably have to replace lots of stuff to really figure out which was the culprit. Maybe later.