Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Test Drive:96 Outback -- Good Deal??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mwd

mwd

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Sulphur Rock, AR

Posted 04 September 2004 - 09:22 PM

When turning around in parking lot, back tire was chirping and vehicle lurched a little. (5sp manual xmission). Does this mean the center diff is sick? It acted like my 81 Landcruiser on pavement in 4WD. It seemed like it was "binding up" when I rolled to a stop (after turning circles in the parking lot), it felt like the parking brake was on.

When starting off got some shudder from the clutch. Oil on the clutch disk?

Lots of parking lot dings, broken rear turn signal lens (the long plastic one that says "SUBARU" that spans the rear. Looks like quite a project.

Motor seemed strong tho. $5000 was too much for me so I passed on this one. Still looking tho.

#2 mwd

mwd

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Sulphur Rock, AR

Posted 10 September 2004 - 12:05 PM

Any ideas about the clutch???

#3 ejlain

ejlain

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Philadelphia, PA

Posted 10 September 2004 - 03:17 PM

Hmmm, sounds like it could be differential or torque binding. How many miles? $5k seems a little high. I got a 1998 Legacy L sedan (auto trans.) this winter with 99k miles for $5k, so you were probably right to pass on this one.

#4 mattocs

mattocs

Subaru Legacy Lover

• Members
  • 1,312 posts
  • Pittsburgh

Posted 10 September 2004 - 04:06 PM

I paid about $6k for my 96 OBW 5-sp 2.2l w/ 90k miles. Needs a timing belt job eventully...some minor dings...but overall really good condition.

How many miles are on it? Ask to take it to get looked over by a mechanic of your choice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users