Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

leaking coolant

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Martin

Martin

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 860 posts
  • Victoria, BC, Canada

Posted 05 September 2004 - 02:46 AM

Hey, so my GL jus started leaking coolant tonight, which really sucks because I was planning on going on a surf trip in the morning. It is only leaking when it is running and seems to be from the back right of the engine. I can't tell if it's from a hose of the headgasket. I have yet to check to oil dipstick and will do further work in the morning, but was just looking for ideas. How hard is it to replace a head gasket? It's ea-82 carb'd engine. I really hope it's nothing bad as I am starting school and otherwise poor.

#2 1979BratOwner

1979BratOwner

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Chico

Posted 05 September 2004 - 02:57 AM

I just got a GL just like that. I was told it has a leak in the same spot. But I got mine for the Transmission so I can put the trannie in my brat along with an ej22 engine.

#3 86subaru

86subaru

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,090 posts
  • ohio

Posted 05 September 2004 - 07:00 AM

check the heater hoses first, which are right below the spare tire, if it is a hg i paid 200 bucks for a complete set from napa and about 14hrs with 3 guys , but the gasket set had alot of extra gaskets left for other cars

#4 Danbob99

Danbob99

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Brier, Washington

Posted 05 September 2004 - 04:43 PM

i don't normaly see head gaskets spew coolant...i see oil, and internal coolant leaking, but i wouldnt jump straight to hg's. Right as in from standing infront of it, or in it? Tech's will usually use perception from inside the car, drivers side is left, passengers is right. So on the left side there are a couple heater hoses that i've blown before. There are a few hoses on the top of the manifold that could leak. All are cheap and easy to fix. Jus pull yur spare tire, get the car warm, and watch were it spews from, replace the hose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users