Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Abandoned Subaru in need of my help!...call 911

Marck

I think I may have come across an abandoned white 3 door GL coupe (non-turbo). I have been keeping my eye on it for a long time now. The people who owned it were tinkering around with it in their driveway for maybe half a year now. One day I would see it jacked up with its hood open being worked on and then the next day it would be covered up and so on. I think they finally given up on the poor thing. They had a large yard sale the about a week ago and now I think they moved out. They drove or maybe pushed their poor broken sube onto the street and stripped it of its license plates. It seems a cop came by there and placed a ticket on it. I am assuming it is abandoned. I think I am going to go down their tomorrow to see for myself if they really moved out and left it there. What I want to know is how hard and what is the procedure and what does it cost to get a title for an abandoned vehicle if I cannot get in touch with the owner?

that is the way i have found alot of mine , or i have found them parked in a driveway and walked up and asked the owner if it is for sale , in fact i just went and looked at 1 last night which is for sale , but it had alot of rust, and needed axles, oil seals, ecs light on, bullet hole in windshield , i passed on it

The procedures in regard to obtaining title to an abandoned car are state specific. Based upon your posting information, I assume the car is in California. You might want to look up some of the information avalable on the California DMV site: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/salvage.htm

My guess is that, if you really want this car, you will end up wishing you had dealt with the prior owners before they departed. You could end up spending a heck of a lot of time trying to get title to it now....

Bill

I think I may have come across an abandoned white 3 door GL coupe (non-turbo). I have been keeping my eye on it for a long time now. The people who owned it were tinkering around with it in their driveway for maybe half a year now. One day I would see it jacked up with its hood open being worked on and then the next day it would be covered up and so on. I think they finally given up on the poor thing. They had a large yard sale the about a week ago and now I think they moved out. They drove or maybe pushed their poor broken sube onto the street and stripped it of its license plates. It seems a cop came by there and placed a ticket on it. I am assuming it is abandoned. I think I am going to go down their tomorrow to see for myself if they really moved out and left it there. What I want to know is how hard and what is the procedure and what does it cost to get a title for an abandoned vehicle if I cannot get in touch with the owner?

also, keep in mind that they abandoned it for a reason and that it could be quite abit of work to get it back to good condition. since you already got a 3-door gl you can use this one for parts or spiff it up to offroad with it. trying to get a title is utter hell, as you have to go thru many steps. i imagine its even harder in cali. either way, good luck. skeet

I went to take a closer look at it today and I decided to pass on it. The front windshield is busted, it has a flat tire, the interior is completely torn apart, it has a crappy automatic tranny, and I am not even sure if it has an engine or not. It looks to me like they were parting it out and left the rest of it on the street. It looks like it would take too much time and money to revive. If it was a turbo coupe with 4wd, then it would have made a great parts car. Thanks for the help anyway.

Not sure if it would work in this instance or not. But contact the Police Department that put the sticker on it. If it truly is an "Abandoned Vehicle" you just may be able to get it as a "parts vehicle". You may have to contact whatever entity it is that does the Registration/Plating of vehicles, also. Reason for saying that is, most PD's would have to have it towed to an impound lot, then hold onto it until their next auction, hoping to get enough money out of it to cover the cost of tow/storage. Doesn't always work, but I have picked up afew cars this way, and even managed to re-title a couple of them. Takes time, and there's a big paper chase involved, but it can be done, atleast here in Michigan.