Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How can I tell if belts are bad?

I will be taking my 92 Legacy (148K) to a shop for a battery this week. They are going to check to see if I need new belts and timing belt before a trip (I have another post with other questions). How do I know if I REALLY need new belts, especially the timing belt. And how much should that cost? I hope to avoid it. I hope it was already replaced before I got the car but I have no records. Thanks!

If you bought this new, you've changed the timing and accessory belts about every 60K and don't need them for another 32K.

If not, a quick look for cracking, glazing, or other damage is in order. The acc. belts are easy. For the timing belt you have to remove the cover(s) and look for the above plus any missing lugs. Subaru also has a timing belt minimum width limit.

According to people more knowledgeable than me, it would be a good time to replace the water pump and seals (oil pump too), if they haven't been done.

DIY, about $200.

Dealer, about $500-800.

Out of town dealer, priceless. Take your no limit American Express card along.

I will be taking my 92 Legacy (148K) to a shop for a battery this week. They are going to check to see if I need new belts and timing belt before a trip (I have another post with other questions). How do I know if I REALLY need new belts, especially the timing belt. And how much should that cost? I hope to avoid it. I hope it was already replaced before I got the car but I have no records. Thanks!

I would change them before the road trip. If they break on the road you will be paying way more, probably no choice on shops, have to pay towing, etc. It will be cheap insurance to do it before you leave, imo.

What shop are you using, there are a lot of very good subaru only shops in Colorado, let me know if you want a reference.

I got 2 different quotes for all belts, battery and water pump that run $650 to $800. I will probably end up doing it all if it looks like the timing belt hasn't been changed recently. Wish I had some repair records!
That is kind of high, you can get timing and water pump for $400 ish in denver, and do the battery yourself ( under $50).

Might be worth the drive??

can you suggest a shop on the south end????

I do not know any, but why not take a saturday drive up to denver, have the shop do the work and spend half day downtown or catch a movie??

You will be shocked at home much better a subaru only shop is than the local fix all type shops.