Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I was having an intermidate over heating problem. Replaced the thermostat, replaced the radiator cap. Replaced the water pump. Flushed the system.

Whats the problem....head gasket.

quoated on the job a couple thousand dollars.

So basically.

I just paid $7,200 for a car that is completely screwed over.

I now have no vehicle. Thanks to a shaddy private seller. Wonderful world this really is.

I feel your pain.

I believe it was Friday night, one of the networks reported on scams including unlicensed “Curbstone” sellers that sell multiple cars per year as private sellers of the street. According to the report, half of all private sales were people that bought cars, some salvage etc, made them look good, and sold them through private ads.

Your chances are 50/50 you got scammed by a pro and 50/50 you got screwed by the little old lady down the street who was told she needed a head gasket by here Subaru dealer.

I’d be livid. Save some of your anger though for Subaru, Isuzu, or GM or whoever they are today. The 2.2 block was bored out to give added displacement, seemingly without regard for the head gasket mating surface area.

Although it may be an oxymoron, Subaru’s a good car despite being a POS. The Vega had a better engine.

See if the friendly seller is a pro and has other ads in the paper and report to the authorities if so.

Pay the price to have it fixed or learn to swing a wrench. A lot of people here can give you advice.

Good luck.

So I was having an intermidate over heating problem. Replaced the thermostat, replaced the radiator cap. Replaced the water pump. Flushed the system.

So basically.

I now have no vehicle. Thanks to a shaddy private seller. Wonderful world this really is.

I think it's just human nature, but I am amazed by the number of people that buy a Subaru FIRST, THEN log onto this board to see if they made a smart purchase. BUY first, then do the rearch. Did you have a mechanic check over the car? Did you check this board for problems with the 2.5 DOHC engine before buying? Did you check the car out in Consumer's Reports? Would you let a stranger just walk in off the street and baby sit one of your kids? Why would you hand over $7,200 to a stranger without at least making some effort to cover your rump roast? BTW, if you didn't buy it "as is" you may have some recourse against the seller.

I feel your pain. There's a principle called due diligence or "let the buyer beware". Two grand isnt all that much if you learned a valuable lesson from this. You can't change the fact that the world is filled with a certain percentage of amoral subhumans, so you HAVE to learn to protect yourself.

yeah I do know how to wrench a car. Unfortunatly I work 6 days a week anywhere from 8-12 hours a day. Another note. I do research my cars so don't be preaching to me. Valuable lesson???? I beleive I have learned just about every single lesson known to man and some not known being that this is my 20th car I've owned. People looking over the car, myself, subaru dealership mechanic, and my friend a wyotech automotive graduate.

Long story short.

Just going to sell 2 of my cars to afford to pay for these repairs.

yeah I do know how to wrench a car. Unfortunatly I work 6 days a week anywhere from 8-12 hours a day. Another note. I do research my cars so don't be preaching to me. Valuable lesson???? I beleive I have learned just about every single lesson known to man and some not known being that this is my 20th car I've owned. People looking over the car, myself, subaru dealership mechanic, and my friend a wyotech automotive graduate.

Long story short.

Just going to sell 2 of my cars to afford to pay for these repairs.

Hey, I'm sorry to hear that you have a blown head gasket. But, if you had the car checked out like you said, then the head gasket wasn't blown when the owner sold it to you. So what's your beef?

Your original post implies the owner KNEW that the car had blown head gaskets and "stuck" you with the car. The only way that would happen is if you didn't have the car thoroughly checked out. Head gasket failure is a well known problem for the 2.5 DOHC engine. Anyone that researched the car would have either 1. Walked away from the car 2. Beat down the sales price in case the car had, or would develop, blown head gaskest 3. Had the coolant tested for exhaust gases.

I can ONLY comment on what you have posted. You posted that you had been screwed.

So basically.

That does suck, but you were/are going to have to change them sooner or later.

There is a know issue with 2.5 and everyone that owns one should be ready to change them at some point. I have 5 friends who all have had them replaced.

The good news is it sounds like you found it before further engine damage.

Subaru X, did you take radiator off and check to see if it might just need washing fins out? I learned a lot of lessons by 22 years old, but I think at 52 now I must have forgotten them, I have been taken twice in the last three months on things I should have known better.

Yes, 97 and later models of the 2.5 L engines will eventually need head gasket replacement after 100,000 miles, sometimes sooner. Not sure if the 96 avoided this problem being slightly different, but mine hasen't had any problems yet. If you like your car, then you just have to accept the problems that come with it. Replace the head gaskets and be good to go. Sorry it had to happen after just purchasing the car. Good luck.

I know it's a pain, but why did you call the seller shady? In your second post you told us all the people that looked at it, and none of them said anything??? Looks like the seller sold it in good faith, and that this happened, I don't think they knew about, or is there something that you are not telling us

I think the head gasket thing is a Subaru thing, not just any particular engine, I have even heard of the indistructable EJ22s having head gasket problem, it is a given that if you own an EA series car that you will have head gasket problems.

I know it's a pain, but why did you call the seller shady? In your second post you told us all the people that looked at it, and none of them said anything??? Looks like the seller sold it in good faith, and that this happened, I don't think they knew about, or is there something that you are not telling us

Actually, Subaru X calls the seller "shaddy", not "shady". I'm pretty sure that a shad is a kind of a fish. So, maybe Subaru X is calling the seller "fishy", or perhaps "scaly". First time I've seen "shad" used in the adjective form. Someone call Webster's , I think we have witnessed the first scribbling of a new word.