Ultimate Subaru Message Board

exhaust from oil filler pipe...WTF?! help plz

My car has been stumbling a bit lately, but nothing serious...one of the plugs tends to foul up and just needs replacing. The other day I swapped in a new plug, but I managed to crossthread the new plug and mess up the threads. I bought one of those helicoil type kits and installed a thread insert...no problems. So I go to start up the car and try out my new setup today and it wouldn't start for a long time. For some reason, it was acting like it was flooded and disconnecting the injector would clear things up and the engine would run momentarily. It took a while for that to go away, but it did...don't know if this has anything to do with the problem.

Now, the car will start and run pretty well..about as well as when I first started this ordeal. The problem now is that the oil filler tube puffs smoke like it's an exhaust pipe or something. The "smoke" goes away at higher rpm, but it puffs like a coal train at idle (with white smoke). I also noticed that pressing the palm of my hand against the filler tube opening (to block the exhaust) causes the engine rpm to drop. I'm also getting several codes...off the top of my head I think they were 12, 31, 32, 33, 51, and 61....to name a few.

The "smoke" coming from the filler tube is not blue like burning oil, or sweet like burning coolant, also no signs of coolant in the oil...so I assume, for whatever reason, I'm suddenly getting an extraordinary amount of exhaust blow-by on one of the cylinders.

Anyone have any idea what the hell happened? I just rebuilt the engine a few months ago and the only problem so far has been a minor oil-burning in one cylinder which the machinist warned me might develop..but he never hinted something like this might happen. Is this a head gasket problem or bad rings or what? Compression test the next step? I can't imagine this much smoke is from a plugged PCV or something simple.