Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Curious About the ea82 turbo

Hello to all! I am now the proud owner of my first Subaru. An 88 GL wagon. The motor in this thing is about to die. I need to replace it, but while buying parts to try to nurse this old one along, I found out about the existence of an EA82 Turbo. So now my question is, how difficult would it be to replace the old EA82 with the EA82T? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks... Shaun

A quick search will yield more detail, but heres the basics.

You will need to replace:

wiring harness

crossmember

exhaust system

End result, since you practically have to have a complete turbo donor car, it would probably be easier to go buy a new car...

Subarustyles recently successfully completed the swap you are considering.. I'm sure he can shed some more light on it.

Hello to all! I am now the proud owner of my first Subaru. An 88 GL wagon. The motor in this thing is about to die.
Please tell us what makes you think the motor is about to die. Subaru engines last almost forever. Subarus with over 400,000 km (250,000 mi) are quite common.

Perhaps it's leaking oil or the valve train is noisy? A simple overhaul will cure most problems.

Yeah funny thing about that, the motor has a intermitant lifter noise. Sounds like it is rattling and then smooths out. Also the check engine light comes on after about the first 5 minutes of operation. Usually right after I drop it into fouth gear. But you are right all in all for a motor with 211k on it it still runs like a champ. Any thoughts on that lifter Noise?

Thanks Shaun