Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 Subaru OBW from an auction

I found this 1998 Subaru OBW for sale at a used car lot. He said they got it at a car auction. It has 72k miles on it, 5 speed, 2.5, good shape, and he's asking $8000 for it. So, my question is, since this car was at an auction does that mean that it probably has something wrong with it? I mean, why else would a dealership send a car to an auction. Is it risky buying an OBW that comes from an auction? He said it hasn't had the 60,000 mile service, so maybe I could get him to take off for that. Thanks for the help!

Some dealers will ship cars off to auctions, depending upon the inventory they have on the lot and if it's a brand they think won't move off the lot. This is end of model time. They need to make room for 2005 models coming in, so they push the 2004 models to reduce the overall inventory over any used cars that would sit on the lot. They just make more $$$ per car sold that way.

If in doubt, ask the dealer to allow you to take it to a mechanic you trust and get it looked over.

I found this 1998 Subaru OBW for sale at a used car lot. He said they got it at a car auction. It has 72k miles on it, 5 speed, 2.5, good shape, and he's asking $8000 for it. So, my question is, since this car was at an auction does that mean that it probably has something wrong with it? I mean, why else would a dealership send a car to an auction. Is it risky buying an OBW that comes from an auction? He said it hasn't had the 60,000 mile service, so maybe I could get him to take off for that. Thanks for the help!

Be careful about HG, that is probably why it is at the auction.

Drive it hard for 5-10 miles and then observe the coolant overflow tank for bubbles or combustion byproducts seems to be the easiest way.

$8K is pretty lofty. Automatics sell for much more than manuals, because the market for manual transmission station wagons is pretty limited. I sold a 97 last year for $6,250 with 87K miles, with automatic and cold weather package. I'd guess that around here such a car would sell private sale for less than $6,000, and less than $7,000 at a dealer.

$8K is pretty lofty. Automatics sell for much more than manuals, because the market for manual transmission station wagons is pretty limited. I sold a 97 last year for $6,250 with 87K miles, with automatic and cold weather package. I'd guess that around here such a car would sell private sale for less than $6,000, and less than $7,000 at a dealer.

Depends on the Area, here in Colorado 97s sell for 9-10k range.

FYI