Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dual port EA81 found, info required please

G'day everyone,

I have found a 120hp version of a dual port, dual carb EA81,

a factory competition motor with some attitude

It needs a rebuild and I am wondering what bits from a normal EA81 rebuild kit will fit? seals, rocker gaskets, piston rings, bearings etc.

I am assuming head gaskets will be diffferent, any ideas on where to get parts online..

This is going to make the Wonder Brumby unstoppable, and normally aspirated!

Framerails and xmember intact, all legal, I think I am growing up........ NAAAAAH!

Does it have dual intake ports? Or just exhaust?

If it just has dual exhaust ports, then I know which engine you're talking about. I have a few pictures of one, but have never seen one in person.

I would have to guess that most of the bottom-end parts would be shared with a normal EA81. As far as I know, the bore was the same so the crank was probably the same too. For that matter, the only think that would necessarily be different would be the camshaft. That engine had the intake and exhaust valves in the opposite locations from the normal EA81, so it has a unique camshaft.

You might even get lucky and be able to use normal EA81 head gaskets, but I wouldn't bet on that. Any other gaskets that touch the heads are probably unique to that engine and will probably need to be fabricated.

Somewhere, I even have a picture of a 4-into-1 exhaust header made for this engine. That would be awesome if you could get something like that.

Please post pictures of this most magnificent find, and Good Luck with it!! (it really should kick some butt!)

I have just ordered a set of custom 4 in to 1 headers for this motor,

going 2 1/4 inch after the collector all the way back.

Yes it has dual exhaust ports, single inlet.

The crank and cam have been balanced,

The heads are going to the shop next week for a

good check and polish

up a valve size possibly,

new pistons /rings and new bearings and seals

should give me 130hp with good pipes.

electronic dizzy,

Ceramic clutch, HD pressure plate,

AWD is going to be vital now!

Pictures coming...

Those pix arent working. But i'd love to see some pix of this motor you found. Your probably the only person out there that has one, or aleast who knows about the USMB and has one :) Finding parts are going to be hard, and lets hope both of those heads are still in real good condition cause im sure it'll be hard to replace one.

Great find tho.

-Brian

Those pix arent working. But i'd love to see some pix of this motor you found. Your probably the only person out there that has one, or aleast who knows about the USMB and has one :) Finding parts are going to be hard, and lets hope both of those heads are still in real good condition cause im sure it'll be hard to replace one.
I got to the pics by going into the properties and them pasting the URL into my browser. The heads are the same as my dual-carb long block. I inquired about JDM dual-carb EA-81s at a few engine importers last november and got this response from one:

We have a nice engine in stock. It is a low mileage engine that has leak down tested, inspected internally, cleaned, palletized & is ready for shipping. The cost of the engine is 1,195.00 If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I got my long block from an airplane guy for $400. He got it from an importer for an airplane project but never got around to it.

Here is some more info I just found (linked page has lots of photos):

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:jSa-stv2EecJ:www.howardboyle.com/engine_%26_mount.htm+imported+EA81&hl=en

Dante, I am having them custom made in Hobart, Tasmania.

Easier that way.

I know in my mind what I want and how it should sound,

its just bending that into pipes thats the hard bit.

I will post photos and measurements if you like.

Cheers,

Matty B (tasbrat)

That would be great! Thanks :)

Dante, I am having them custom made in Hobart, Tasmania.

Easier that way.

I know in my mind what I want and how it should sound,

its just bending that into pipes thats the hard bit.

I will post photos and measurements if you like.

Cheers,

Matty B (tasbrat)