Ultimate Subaru Message Board

axles for d/r swap

im going to be swaping a d/r 5peed for my s/r 5speed push button in my 88 turbo wagon. what all is needed to do this swap? axles, d/r tranny, rear diff to match tranny and center trim pieces? as far as axles go i have 2 choices, axles for a 4wd turbo with an auto or axles for a n/a 5peed d/r. i hear the auto axles are stronger, is this true?

thanks,

Dylan

the rear diff stays the same. I think the tranny is the same length, so the prop shafts stay the same. i think all that gets changed is the interior trim, the shifters and floorplate, and the vacuum hoses to the pushbutton solenoids pluged. I believe that its a bolt in swap, with just the tranny being changed, not any other part of the drivetrain.

My wagon is a turbo. so i have to change the rear diff cuz the one in there now is a 3.7 ratio and the dual range im switching in is a 3.9 ratio. also the 5spd turbo trannys use 25 spline shafts and d/r use 23 spline shafts with the exception of the rx fulltime d/r.

sorry for the confusion

Dylan