Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 & 94 Legacy Wagon door handle & lock

I need to do some repairs on two of our three Subaru Legacy Wagon's

# 1. Our 92 Legacy drivers-side key cylinder turns 360 degrees, w/o engaging the lock cylinder...so I need to (A) buy a replacement lock cylinder...?...(B) have the replacement cylinder re-keyed to match ignition key.

#2. Our 94 drivers-side, outside door handle is pulling out of the door's cut out for this handle, only seems to be attatched to the door at the top edge of this handle door cut-out.

I'm assumiong for both repairs, I will need to pull the inside door panels to get to the lock cylinder and what ever has come loose on this outside door handle...?

Q: What is the best/right way to take these door panels off...?

Q: What is the best place to buy a replacement door lock cylinder...?

THANK YOU !!!! Cody

For the 360 lock....yeah you need a new lock cylinder. It's a pretty common failure point. If you want to retain the same key, yeah you'll have to have it rekeyed.

dealer is the only place I know for a lock cylinder.

There are two nuts that hold on the door handle. The handle has two studs that stick out the back that these two nuts bolt onto.

To remove the door panel, take the three screws off around the speaker trim. Pop the little black plastic plug thing out at the top of the door handle. Unscrew the screw. Pop the little plastic piece off the door panel...just below the arm rest portion. Unscrew the screw.

Next go around the edge of the door panel and pop the little plastic pieces off. To remove the door panel, pull up and slide back at the same time. You need to unhook the front of the door panel to slide it back so you can pull it up. It's easier to do this with the window down. Once you get it off, roll the window back up, and then unplug the electrical connector from the door panel.

Peel back the plastic. There's two nuts as I mentioned, holding the handle, and two rods attached via little plastic clips. Just unsnap them and pull the rods out of their sockets. You can then remove the door handle.

I'd suggest not driving around while you have the door handle apart. My mom put down the window when I had to replace mine, and ended up bending the one rod and popping it out of its lower socket....unbelievable pain to get back in.

When you put everything back together....hook up the electrical connector and roll the window down...it makes things easier.

Yea broken lock is pretty standard on 1st generation Legacy's. I have a door lock from a 92 I snaged from a junk yard. I will sell it to you for what I purchased it for.

Do you have the cylinder or the cylinder and the key....?

Any experience/advise on openening up the door to replace this lock...?

For the 360 lock....yeah you need a new lock cylinder. It's a pretty common failure point. If you want to retain the same key, yeah you'll have to have it rekeyed.

dealer is the only place I know for a lock cylinder.

There are two nuts that hold on the door handle. The handle has two studs that stick out the back that these two nuts bolt onto.

To remove the door panel, take the three screws off around the speaker trim. Pop the little black plastic plug thing out at the top of the door handle. Unscrew the screw. Pop the little plastic piece off the door panel...just below the arm rest portion. Unscrew the screw.

Next go around the edge of the door panel and pop the little plastic pieces off. To remove the door panel, pull up and slide back at the same time. You need to unhook the front of the door panel to slide it back so you can pull it up. It's easier to do this with the window down. Once you get it off, roll the window back up, and then unplug the electrical connector from the door panel.

Peel back the plastic. There's two nuts as I mentioned, holding the handle, and two rods attached via little plastic clips. Just unsnap them and pull the rods out of their sockets. You can then remove the door handle.

I'd suggest not driving around while you have the door handle apart. My mom put down the window when I had to replace mine, and ended up bending the one rod and popping it out of its lower socket....unbelievable pain to get back in.

When you put everything back together....hook up the electrical connector and roll the window down...it makes things easier.

Thanks Josh!!!!

If I get hung up....I'll be back to you for some additional coaching

Cody

Do you have the cylinder or the cylinder and the key....?

Any experience/advise on openening up the door to replace this lock...?

Just the cylinder, you can have it re-keyed for you lock, or have a key made for it but then you would need one key for lock, on for the ignition.

It is really easy getting the door pannel off, need smaller hands to get the door handle off from the inside.