Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the "THING" in front of the fuel pump???..

Ha Ha I have just had lots of fun with this 'thing' it has many names but according to the FSM its a 'damper'

Mine just recently started leaking (a few recent posts to this effect). I dissected it and found a spring inside with an equatorial diaphragm, its some kind of pressure damping device, perhaps to compensate for the fuel pump?

89Ru

Yep found that on my pump when I replaced it here recently. Mine had rusted away to nothing and litearlly disinegrated in my hand when i touched it. I just used a Ford truck EFI cheap replacement from Napa. Arch is running the same one on his EA82 MPFI and it seems to be working fine on my EA82 SPFI.

Napa and everyone else wanted $200+ for a "new" EA82 SPFI/MPFI/Turbo fuel pump :(

I can dig up the part number if you want. Hopefully you can find one at a junkyard or something and get it replaced MUCH cheaper.

whoops, doh! icon4.gif just re-read your post. What I was describing was the 'thing' several inches in the line after the fuel pump, but duh you were asking about a gizmo on the fuel pump itself.

Sorry, don't know! I wondered that myself!

that would be a real help if you could get the part #..Thanks
Sure no problem:

napa sells an inline pump for some ford truck for 35 bucks. 50 gph, with 90 psi

works on whatever you want

part #2p74028

its round, so you can use a coil bracket to mount it in the stock location, cheapest one i have been able to find.

They actually wanted $75 when I bought mine. Either the Napa I went to is expensive or people cought on how cheap those high flow/pressure pumps were so they upped the price... dunno which or what it is but it sure beats $255 they wanted for a new Subaru one! Wish I could have scored one at a junkyard. Woudl have been way cheaper than $75 but oh well its brand new :)

Hi Morgan.. I would appreciate the part # for the flow thru fuel pump...The # that Archemitis gave has only 6psi, not 90psi?? ,according to Napa's in fo...Thanks

Sure no problem:

They actually wanted $75 when I bought mine. Either the Napa I went to is expensive or people cought on how cheap those high flow/pressure pumps were so they upped the price... dunno which or what it is but it sure beats $255 they wanted for a new Subaru one! Wish I could have scored one at a junkyard. Woudl have been way cheaper than $75 but oh well its brand new :)

Morgan's pump works on his 'roo, can't argue with success and the price and stock mount is great, but...for another try autopartsgiant.com, they have several pumps for the '86 EA82T starting at $96

I have one on order (Python Injection) 'cause the 'thing' (strainer, whatever) looks like it could blow any day now, but can't testify that it works yet or will even fit in the stock location

89Ru

ya napa must be smokin crack lately, cuz mine was 45 bucks, thenmorgan went 6 months later, and they charged him almost double. mines supposed to be 90lb, 50gph? something like that. should work for any fuel injection that subaru put on an ea series car.

if you go to napa, just make them look, it was on a ford truck that had one pump in the tank, and one near the front of the vehicle. they will find you a $150 one first, then find the 65, then miraculously, they will find the same part for 45bucks :grin:

that damper is supposed to be there to keep the vibrations of the fuel pump out of the pressure flow. like little pressure pulses instead of a constant solid flow. you can feel the pressure pulse in my rubber lines, but works great!

id recommend this napa one, or a junkyard unit. dont pay more than 70

Thanks....

ya napa must be smokin crack lately, cuz mine was 45 bucks, thenmorgan went 6 months later, and they charged him almost double. mines supposed to be 90lb, 50gph? something like that. should work for any fuel injection that subaru put on an ea series car.

if you go to napa, just make them look, it was on a ford truck that had one pump in the tank, and one near the front of the vehicle. they will find you a $150 one first, then find the 65, then miraculously, they will find the same part for 45bucks :grin:

that damper is supposed to be there to keep the vibrations of the fuel pump out of the pressure flow. like little pressure pulses instead of a constant solid flow. you can feel the pressure pulse in my rubber lines, but works great!

id recommend this napa one, or a junkyard unit. dont pay more than 70