Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all. New to boards, slightly new to Subarus. Previously had a '98 Outback Sport (loved it but killed it off-roading), and currently an '05 Legacy GT Limited (totally great car). The thing I am looking for though is a comprehensive list of model and engine codes for Subarus. I see these codes all over the boards but don't know what they all mean. I try to learn the history of marques I like, ie. know all the model and engine codes for BMW (e36, e46, etc.) but feel kinda ignorant about Subarus. Can someone help me out here?

Thanks in advance

I don't know of a published, comprehensive listing, but there are several board members who can recite models and years... via engine designation. Most of the moderators, McBrat, Subarubrat, Calebz, Turbone, MorganM, Moosens, EdRach, and others come to mind as being possible shortcuts to this knowledge without just reading a bunch of messages and hanging out and gaining knowledge through experience. Feel free to PM any of them and I'm sure they can answer your question directly. Welcome to the board.

Well, it's probably easiest to use the chassis number signifier, like Mercedes does.

My first generation Impreza sedan is GC8. That would be GF8 for the stationwagon.

My first gen Legacy was BC7....making the wagon BF7.

These numbers show up in the full chassis number, I recall my Legacy was JF1BC7AL0E....

Hunt around, I am sure you will the find the codes for other years and models.

Engines: The EJ series was introduced in the Legacy in 1989, and the basic design lives on. EJ22 has a 2.2 liter displacement.

Previous engine series was EA...but I don't know what the numbers mean!

Hydraulic means no adjustment needed. I suppose they have gone for two reasons: Fuel Economy, since they do add a small amount of extra resistance to motion. And of course, the reason for most things: Money! Solid lifters are cheaper, and they will keep the customer coming back to have them adjusted. (Okay, so the interval is a very fair 60k miles, but anyway..)

4 bangers.

EA71= 70's pushrod 1.6 liter (I think)

EA81= early 80's pushrod 1.8 liter, low power but very durable. about 73hp?

EA82=mid 80's to 94 overhead cam 1.8 liter. many came w/ fuel injection. less durable than the EA81's, but more power. 93hp=SPFI 115hp=turbo

EJ18= 1.8 liter ovehead cam engine in the new EJ family.

EJ20= 2 liter O.C. engine, commonly found turbo in the WRX's. Up to 227hp

EJ22= 2.2 liter engine found in most of the 90's subaru line. 135hp

EJ25= 2.5 liter engine. there has been reports of headgasket issues

There's also some 6 cylinder engines. One of them was a 2.7 liter, one was a 3.3 liter and the other is a 3 liter. I think that the 2.7 came in the XT6's, the 3.3 came in the SVX's and the 3 liter is currently available.

A "t" after the engine # designates turbo. there was a EJ22tt made that had twin turbo's, Dr. RX has a picture of one on his web page.

Hope this helps

4 bangers.

EA71= 70's pushrod 1.6 liter (I think)

EA81= early 80's pushrod 1.8 liter, low power but very durable. about 73hp?

EA82=mid 80's to 94 overhead cam 1.8 liter. many came w/ fuel injection. less durable than the EA81's, but more power. 93hp=SPFI 115hp=turbo

EJ18= 1.8 liter ovehead cam engine in the new EJ family.

EJ20= 2 liter O.C. engine, commonly found turbo in the WRX's. Up to 227hp

EJ22= 2.2 liter engine found in most of the 90's subaru line. 135hp

EJ25= 2.5 liter engine. there has been reports of headgasket issues

There's also some 6 cylinder engines. One of them was a 2.7 liter, one was a 3.3 liter and the other is a 3 liter. I think that the 2.7 came in the XT6's, the 3.3 came in the SVX's and the 3 liter is currently available.

A "t" after the engine # designates turbo. there was a EJ22tt made that had twin turbo's, Dr. RX has a picture of one on his web page.

Hope this helps

There are some farily large diffrences between a ej20, and a ej20t like the one in the WRX some were colsed deck and came with all internals forged. In Europe Subaru offers them with well over 300 horse and 300 ft pounds of torq. The engine code for the 3.3 liter in the SVX is eg33.