Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Ultimate Lash Adjuster Sollution!!!

If you're like me you've tried everything to get your HLAs to SHUT THE $@$ UP :banghead::banghead::banghead:

You've tried MMO, leaves your engine with that minty fresh smell!! but didn't work for me

You've tried the infamous and hard to find "seafoam", smells good too but seems to do nothing if not make them more noisey.

You've tried various combinations of oil, atf, wtf, more oil, different oil, heavier oil, octane booster, windsheild wiper fluid, (OK these are exagerations but as I walk the aisle at the auto parts store, my mind wonders if one of those random petroleum based products is the miracle cure, the silver bullet for demonized HLAs

(note: I did get some results form a secret flush recipe mudrat gave to me but getting rid of all the oil and stuff envolved was a chore in itself)

You've even pulled them apart (stabbing your self in the palm with a tiny screwdriver several times) cleaned them and put them back together, this seems to make a bad HLA go further to the darkside in my experience.

Of course you've repalced the oil pump seals, the o-rings and perhaps even replaced the whole damn oil pump but still....

Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!

AHHHGGHHHGHH!!!!! What's a guy to do?

The dealer want's $50 each x 8 because who knows when a good HLA will turn bad? And besides, are you sure that's the noisey one???

Behold http://www.mizpahprecision.com/pricing.htm

Rebuilt HLAs for EA82s get this,

$4.50 each rebuilding your core or $5.75 outright!!!!

I know what your thinking, he put the decimal point in the wrong place! But no, an entire set of warranteed HLAs for less than the price of one new OEM HLA (that has been sitting on a shelf somewhere for years, with the oil drying up.....)

How can they do this you ask, I have no idea but I wasn't going to point out that they don't charge enough when I ordered my set

Hurry act now before your HLAs drive you crazy!!!

and,

you're welcome

garner

Hi, I have found a small restrictor oriface in the cam case that may be the source of all your clicking.

The oil to the lifter galley is fed out through the head , back in through the cam case to the lifter galley in the head . If you take the cam case off , pull the cam out , and clean the passage with the restrictor , it has been the cure for me. The debris can collect in a small pocket in the oil passage there and is really diifficult to see even with the thing apart , look close . The cam has to be out of the case to clear this part of the passage!!!

LOL and post back if it is your cure .

If you're like me you've tried everything to get your HLAs to SHUT THE $@$ UP :banghead::banghead::banghead:

You've tried MMO, leaves your engine with that minty fresh smell!! but didn't work for me

You've tried the infamous and hard to find "seafoam", smells good too but seems to do nothing if not make them more noisey.

You've tried various combinations of oil, atf, wtf, more oil, different oil, heavier oil, octane booster, windsheild wiper fluid, (OK these are exagerations but as I walk the aisle at the auto parts store, my mind wonders if one of those random petroleum based products is the miracle cure, the silver bullet for demonized HLAs

(note: I did get some results form a secret flush recipe mudrat gave to me but getting rid of all the oil and stuff envolved was a chore in itself)

You've even pulled them apart (stabbing your self in the palm with a tiny screwdriver several times) cleaned them and put them back together, this seems to make a bad HLA go further to the darkside in my experience.

Of course you've repalced the oil pump seals, the o-rings and perhaps even replaced the whole damn oil pump but still....

Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!Click!

AHHHGGHHHGHH!!!!! What's a guy to do?

The dealer want's $50 each x 8 because who knows when a good HLA will turn bad? And besides, are you sure that's the noisey one???

Behold http://www.mizpahprecision.com/pricing.htm

Rebuilt HLAs for EA82s get this,

$4.50 each rebuilding your core or $5.75 outright!!!!

I know what your thinking, he put the decimal point in the wrong place! But no, an entire set of warranteed HLAs for less than the price of one new OEM HLA (that has been sitting on a shelf somewhere for years, with the oil drying up.....)

How can they do this you ask, I have no idea but I wasn't going to point out that they don't charge enough when I ordered my set

Hurry act now before your HLAs drive you crazy!!!

and,

you're welcome

garner

Ruparts,

Good point. I did what you describe while rebuilding the motor. A piece of wire and some compressed air did the trick. I'm fairly certain my HLAs are toast, atleast a couple of them. '

I should see my set of HLAs tommorrow. I'll intall them when I have the motor out next to swap to 3.90 tranny. I can do it with the engine in place but it's so much easier if the motor is pulled.... I betting I'll have one of the quietest valve trains around.

garner

Just use more oil, but only if you are confident about your seals (i.e. you've done all the resealing you can).

An extra cup of oil does the trick just fine. As an engine ages, the tolerances between the moving parts get looser, and more oil volume is required.

Extra cup of oil = 25 cents

• 2 months later...
Up from the dead!!

Garner, did you recieve these? What is there condition like? Get them installed? I'm looking at getting some for my RX... Let me know.

Yes I got them. They look absolutely brand new but have different retainer caps than the OEMs. I've only installed the passenger side as it was the loudest. I should have replaced the oil pressure relief springs while I was at it because as it turned out, that was really my problem. She's quiet as a clam now (well, a really angry clam).

Highly recomended and way easier/ better than rebuilding them yourself. And cheap!, I think I payed under $50 shipped. Would have been cheaper still if I had a set of cores to send them

I wouldn't hesitate to recomend them

http://www.mizpahprecision.com/pricing.htm

garner