Ultimate Subaru Message Board

As i got such great answers to my last question regarding the soggy clutch pedal i shall ask another.

It is sometimes difficult to move the gear stick into the first and second gates...this may or may not be related to the soggy clutch problem i mentioned before. Again, this is an intermittent problem, and feels to me like some sort of warn linkage problem, perhaps a bearing or something?? The shifter will stick, you push harder and it will pop in to the gate.

Any suggestions anyone??

These boxes do have weak synchro-rings, the shifts aren't fast.

If your clutch has too much free-play it will not dis-engage fully, and shifting will become harder. Does the pedal move far before offering resistance? Does it move though a point of large resistance before becoming easier to press to the floor? (That over-cam feel, just halfway down, is the sign of good clutch adjustment)

If you are trying to shift into 2nd or 1st at speed, you really should double-de-clutch to help the synchros.

Under normal city driving conditions, just as you pull up to a red light, right before you stop, let the clutch pedal up in neutral, push it back down and slide the stick into 1st as the car comes to a halt.