Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am thinking about buying a 86 wagon with a bad drive axle

abcus

Can a bad right drive axle tear up the housing on a trans ? This one

sounds really bad.

Thanks,

abcus

P S It is an automatic 4wheel drive

Go yo www.cvaxles.com for a replacment! I never known one to tear up tranny, but never drove one till it quit! If it's noisy going straight it's probably inside joint as outside's on make noise on power into corners.

Can a bad right drive axle tear up the housing on a trans ? This one

sounds really bad.

Thanks,

abcus

P S It is an automatic 4wheel drive

Axles on Subarus' are Quite forgiving. If you hear the click, click, it is time to replace the unit. Generally, the outside boot has deteriated allowing all the grease to blow out of the joint, and after a period of time, the joint gathers dirt, mud, and grit, which wears on the constant volocity joint (CV). The axle on our type of cars, (unlike any others that I know about), are held into the tranmission housing and output shafts, by a drift pin. Unless you have an extreme situation with the half shaft housing, (which I have never seen), changing the axle. Inspect the left axle. If the boot is dry or damaged, replace, or service at the same time. First, be certain that it is not a trans issue. Sub' axle are usually heard only with the wheels turned to almost full while rolling. If you hear this groaning or chatter in a strait line, you may need to investigate a little more before investing. Understand, we will never see what we put into these cars, but we do it out of love. When you get this message, please reply. I hope this helps! I have 2 85's. I know them well.

Axles on Subarus' are Quite forgiving. If you hear the click, click, it is time to replace the unit. Generally, the outside boot has deteriated allowing all the grease to blow out of the joint, and after a period of time, the joint gathers dirt, mud, and grit, which wears on the constant volocity joint (CV). The axle on our type of cars, (unlike any others that I know about), are held into the tranmission housing and output shafts, by a drift pin. Unless you have an extreme situation with the half shaft housing, (which I have never seen), changing the axle. Inspect the left axle. If the boot is dry or damaged, replace, or service at the same time. First, be certain that it is not a trans issue. Sub' axle are usually heard only with the wheels turned to almost full while rolling. If you hear this groaning or chatter in a strait line, you may need to investigate a little more before investing. Understand, we will never see what we put into these cars, but we do it out of love. When you get this message, please reply. I hope this helps! I have 2 85's. I know them well.
?

I bought it for better or worse. The mechanic starts in on it Thursday.It definately makes abig jolt when you drive ahead 4 feet in a straight direction.

It is a little better in 4 wheel drive.

Thanks to all,

abcus

I can look out my window and count six subarus on the place,all 4-wheel drive.I have replaced axles left and right,and when they come completley out,I just put it in 4wd and drive on home.Never had any damage from this,but you may want to replace the timing belts as soon as you get it,It might save you a lot of trouble(and money)in the long run. EXe3

Dear EXe3,

Thanks for replying. I got a message from the website saying I had to visit the website for some reason. I have driven an 85 Subaru with a clunking cv joint for awhile out of necessity. I found it did better a certain speeds than at other speeds.

Thanks,

abcus