Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi! I need some advice on repairs to my speedometer sensor, ignition coil, plugs, and plug wires. Are these parts relatively easy to access and replace on my own or should I let the dealer charge me $950?

Thanks,

Amanda

Hi,

The ignition coil is very easy to replace, located as it is on top of the engine. Plug wires are pretty easy too. Why do you feel your coil pack needs replacing (pretty rare)?

As for the plugs themselves, they can be a bit of a pain but patience (and small hands) pays off. On my 96 OBW, I found that it was possible to replace all four without removing the washer fluid bottle but the battery did have to come out. The trick is to use a ratchet just enough to loosen the plug and then spin it the rest of the way by hand, otherwise the ratchet gets stuck in those tight quarters.

Make sure you use some anti-seize on the threads of the new plugs and buy OEM ones only.

The speedometer sensor may require raising the car; I don't know where it's located but it will be on the driveline after the transmission. Check the Haynes manual for that one.

Hope this helps,

Adnan