Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transfer clutch 95 legacy lsi

Hi guys,

The 95 lsi wagon is in the shop for a wheel bearing job and the mechanic just called and said I need a new "transfer clutch". I have noticed the rear wheels binding when I turn at times. He said it is ok to drive but it should be replaced, approx $1,000.00. Does his estimate sound about right and should I have it done ASAP?

Thanks,

Hi,

Yes, sounds about right for a clutch pack replacement. As for whether it should be done ASAP, that depends on your driving conditions. Going in a straight line is harmless for the driveline.

If the '95 has the shorting plug under the hood (like the '96 does), you can temporarily disable the AWD system by installing a jumper there. This will buy you some time but the solution still is a clutch pack replacement.

Regards,

Adnan

I believe it's the "Duty Solenoid C" that actually causes the problem - not the clutch pack. There are different rate springs for the transfer clutch too. From memory this can actually be done on-car - but don't quote me on that - so that seems expensive.

The last time I had my transfer case off was 4½ years ago when the trans was out for another reason - that front diff drive shaft that runs down the right side of the trans ran the front bearing - you know the one - the non-standard flanged expensive Subaru only bearing.......

Hi guys,

The 95 lsi wagon is in the shop for a wheel bearing job and the mechanic just called and said I need a new "transfer clutch". I have noticed the rear wheels binding when I turn at times. He said it is ok to drive but it should be replaced, approx $1,000.00. Does his estimate sound about right and should I have it done ASAP?

Thanks,

Check out the thread I started at "AWD binding problem solved in '96 Legacy with transfer case solenoid replacement" -- I ended up spending $515 to solve this, and one of the replies said it could have been done for half of that!

B1

• 1 month later...