Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'96 Outback Starting Problem

Hello All,

I have been having this problem for the last couple of weeks. When I try and start my 1996 Subaru Outback it sometimes won't start. It the car will turn over but will die after a sec or two. After two or three tries and stepping on the gas pedal it will finally start and drive just fine. Other times it starts right up like nothing is wrong!?

Has anyone had this happen to them?

Anyone think they may know what the problem is?

Thanks,

new user

Hi,

Since all starting problems are associated with either fuel, air or spark, it may be best to look at the easy ones first. Do you get any error codes? If so, that ought to point to the problem. Check to see that you have spark. An intermittant ignitor could cause grief.

My guess as to the problem is fuel-related. You don't indicate if there is a pattern to the hard starting, for example, does it always give trouble if the car has sat for a few hours but doesn't if you start it within a short interval? If the check valve in the fuel system fails, the system bleeds off pressure. As a result, when you try to start it, there isn't enough pressure to get the engine to fire.

Try this; let the car sit overnight and then turn the ignition on but don't crank the engine. Give it half a minute or so to allow the fuel pump to pressurize the system and then crank. If it fires right up, you've located the culprit.

The more esoteric problems can have to do with bad crank or cam sensors, etc. but those will set an error code. I'm guessing you have a fuel problem.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Regards,

Adnan

There is no pattern with this, some mornings starts right up then I go to work 4hrs later go to lunch and the car won't start for a couple of times. Then lay the foot on the gas and it slowly will get going.

What do you mean by error codes?

nate

Hi,

Error codes are the standardized fault codes defined by OBDII (on-board diagnostics, version 2). If you have a flashing Check Engine light, you can download the actual code through the OBDII data port (located near the driver's left knee on the lower dash in a LHD car.

If the light isn't on, there are likely no codes set, which is unfortunate, as the codes really help.

Regards,

Adnan

Hi,

Since all starting problems are associated with either fuel, air or spark, it may be best to look at the easy ones first. Do you get any error codes? If so, that ought to point to the problem. Check to see that you have spark. An intermittant ignitor could cause grief.

My guess as to the problem is fuel-related. You don't indicate if there is a pattern to the hard starting, for example, does it always give trouble if the car has sat for a few hours but doesn't if you start it within a short interval? If the check valve in the fuel system fails, the system bleeds off pressure. As a result, when you try to start it, there isn't enough pressure to get the engine to fire.

Try this; let the car sit overnight and then turn the ignition on but don't crank the engine. Give it half a minute or so to allow the fuel pump to pressurize the system and then crank. If it fires right up, you've located the culprit.

The more esoteric problems can have to do with bad crank or cam sensors, etc. but those will set an error code. I'm guessing you have a fuel problem.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Regards,

Adnan

You're Right!

I took it in and they said that the fuel injector is losing pressure and needs to be replaced. Is this correct?? or do think I should only have them replace the check valve in the fuel system?? if that is possible?

thanks

You're Right!

I took it in and they said that the fuel injector is losing pressure and needs to be replaced. Is this correct?? or do think I should only have them replace the check valve in the fuel system?? if that is possible?

thanks

Hi,

Did they say that one or all injectors are losing pressure? Injector leak-down is certainly possible and if both rails are fed off one common regulator, the leaky one could cause the entire system to bleed down. You will then have one cylinder badly flooded.

I would press them for details; which injector, how did they determine that it was the problem, was the cylinder flooded, etc. before allowing them to do anything.

A single injector is pretty easy to replace and you can do it yourself, if you're up to it. An FPR is also easy and probably costs the same.

Thanks for letting us know.

Regards,

Adnan

You're Right!

thanks

Was this a dealership?

I only ask this because dealerships are notorious part swappers.

I had this same issue on a Toyota Land Cruiser, there is a know check valve issue on 3rd generation Cruisers. The Truck was under the dealerships 90 day warranty so I took it in, they ended up changing out over $4000 worth of parts. (Starters, Flue rails, fuel pump, etc.)

After three trips I said never mind, purchased the $15 check valve and fixed it myself but got a lot of nice new parts for free!!

Dealerships do not do very good trouble shooting or diagnosis for the most part. They are used to swapping parts and this is they way they make $$$