Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Opinions--EJ20 vs. EJ25

well, the 2.5 is infamous for head gasket problems due to the open deck design, but a N/A motor has better low end torque for offroad use.

the 2.0 is a closed deck design so its head gaskets aren't vulnerable to defective design, but may be to how you drive with a turbo :P .. and if you truly mean light offroad use, then it won't matter with the turbo.

if it were me and the 2.5 did NOT have the HG issue, i'd choose that for offroading, otherwise i'd choose the 2.0 turbo as i don't think it'll affect what you do too much.

Rarely do the EJ25x's have headgasket issues. The EJ251 SOHC engine is a sound engine. Ive not had a problem. Ive also got an EJ25D (the DOHC version, phase one) and its clocked up 190k+ miles with no issues at all.

Go with the EJ251 for off road. The EJ20G is a closed deck engine, good for 400 hp on stock internals. But its powerband is NOT good for off road...read power come son at 3k+. Power on the EJ251 is there around 2k.

Would advancing the camshaft(s) have the same effect in a turbo engine as in a normally aspirated--e.g lowering the torque curve at the expense of high-end horsepower? Thanks for all the help, I am a soob noob and before I fork over a lot of dough, I want to be sure I am going the right way. Naturally, I want it all, 400 HP, 400 foot pounds at 2000 RPM, 35 miles per gallon, 100,000 miles between servicing, and 500,000 miles until rebuild. :rolleyes:

the ej207 is open. There are only two closed decks, 22g and 20g, and one semi, 257

205 is the "world turbo EJ20" and its the US spec WRX engine - open deck. the 207 is the version 7+ STi engine. It IS semi. Same as the 257 block...just less displacement.

When they moved from the GC...they dropped the 20G for both lines - WRX/STi - and gave the STi a new block, the 207. Semi closed. Good for about 400-450 hp. The WRX got the 205, good for 350 MAX.

I heard stories that it had something to do that ppl tohught i was not right that you could buy a cheap rump roast WRX and hop it up to be faster than an STi on the stock engine...so they changed that. BIG time. Now the STi is faster unless you do an engine swap in a WRX.

207 is semi.