Ultimate Subaru Message Board

D/R gurus

Ive been running around with my RWD conversion in my RX for quite some time now, but The difflock is starting to give way with my current power level, and it of course is starting to strip out.. Short of putting the front axles back in to drive my car, Can i take off the back of the tranny and weld the center diff lock together, or do i need to pull the tranny, take it apart and weld it?

thx :)

dammit, i really like the dual range function, it really helps out at the auto-x

Id like to keep it if i could, but if its not going to hold... :(

Im just curious as to why a regular push button 4x4 tranny would be stronger, I thought the locking mechinism was similar?

dammit, i really like the dual range function, it really helps out at the auto-x

Id like to keep it if i could, but if its not going to hold... :(

Im just curious as to why a regular push button 4x4 tranny would be stronger, I thought the locking mechinism was similar?

they didnt say to get a pushbutton S/R 4wd tranny. you can get a gl tranny thats dual range but has no diff lock.

I’m sure you could weld the center diff, trouble is I’m betting all the parts in that diff are hardened high carbon steel and wont weld well, they tend to develop cracks (skipping all the metallurgical talk about heat effected zones, precipitant carbon, crystalline structure, cyclic loading and fatigue failure). Might be better to look for a mechanical way to lock it up, in the same way a spool is used in a rear diff. OR, (like others have said) switch to a non-full time trans. The range of Subaru trannys can be confusing, so to simplify…

Excluding 2WDs, Autos and 4 speeds, here are the options for the EA82 cars

Single range 5 speed 4WD (push button, 3.9:1 front diff)

Dual range 5 speed 4WD (1.5:1 low, 3.9:1 front diff)

Single range 5 speed full time 4WD (locking center diff, 3.7:1 front diff)

Dual range 5 speed full time 4WD (RX trans, locking center diff, 1.2:1 low, 3.7:1 front diff)

I think the D/R 5 speed 4WD is the one you want, but note the 3.9:1 front diff (will be fine with out front drive) and the lower “low” range. Also, the D/R shift lever pattern is 2WD Hi – 4WD Hi – 4WD Lo, not the Lo – N – Hi in the RX, might make on the fly shifting a bit more tricky (half gear shifting makes the RX big fun, that 1.5 gear is great for the tight corners). The 3.9:1 diff trannys also have more open gearing (as JWX said), so it won’t pull as quick through the gears.

Hope this helps

Gary

For a little insight into the inner workings of the Subie 5 speed check this thread.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15410&page=1&pp=10

I can see what you mean about the RX gear range, when floggin the car hard I think the raios are well mached the the engines power band, but for normal driving a skip gears a lot.

Gary

For further clarification;

The RX full time trans has a center differential in it, this allows the car to run on the street in 4WD with out the drivetrain binding up, it lets the front and rear run at different speeds. This is the same as a front or rear diff that lets the opposite wheels run at different speeds. The lock on the diff is two collars that have cogs and slide together to lock.

The regular Gl dual range 4WD trans is not designed to run in 4WD on the street so there was no need for the center differential. With no center diff, you do not have that weak link, it just has a solid shaft in the place of the center diff so no parts to fail in that area. This trans would work fine on the street for a RWD application, you would always run in 4 Hi or 4 Lo but not in 2wd, that drives the front. 4 Lo on this trans is a lower ratio than the RX trans. Shift on the fly would be the same, you would just need to be careful not to shift into 2WD, it wouldn't hurt anything but you wouldn't go anywhere either.

• 1 month later...
its great, just like it was with the "diff lock" on.. except my difflock coupler teeth broke off.. :banghead: thats why i welded it.. its great, i love the way it drives now, so.. much... FFUNN!!! :D

A friend of mine did this on his AWD Eclipse and loves it. Good to see someone else enjoying this mod!

Rage it !_!