Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Amazing Find

stock90

I just found out about a 1984 GL Sedan, It has under 100,000 miles on it and the owner is selling it for 600 bucks! I just sold my Loyale to one of my sisters in return for an old Gen 2 Celica ST. I've been dreaming about finding a car I could drive while I fix up and restore the Celi. I feel like I'm going overboard buying two cars in month, is this deal too good to poass up? It's an automatic with electric windows, I know the owner so I'm not too worried about honesty here. how long to these transmissions typically last? The paint on the roof is starting to go but that's easily remedied. Should I jump on this?

2 door or 4 door? When people say sedan, some mean 2dr. That would be a keeper, but not to uncommon. Now the tranny, thats another story. Usually anytime after 100K you can expect it to stop shifting into 2nd and 3rd. But rest easy, its an easy fix. Its the govenor on the right side and its easy to change. But it could also mean that the front diff is eating the gear of the gov. In that case a replacement tranny will have to be installed. Then you have a choice, replace with another 3AT :mad: (NOT) or install a 5spd. Theres a write up in the USRM for the swap. If your real ambitous, you can install the rear drivetrain and have 4wd :clap:

it's not advertised yet, my big sis was visiting one of her old highschool friends in courdalane and they told her about it. She's broke so she's hoping I'll buy it and sell it to her when she gets a job. it is a four door, but I haven't even seen it for myself, supposedly it's in good condition asside from the paint job. i'm still skittish though cause of the transmission, I hate AT's.

update-

just got off the phone with the owner of this car, IT HAS 88,000 ORIGINAL MILES ON IT!!!! HE'S ASKING $600 (I think I'll give him 700) , with 1 year old tires, good snow's on rims, and an almost perfect interior!!!! Why didn't this drop in my lap before I bought my Celica??? :banghead: Oh well, now I will have two car's :D ( as long as nothing goes wrong and I don't end up buying it). I guess he bought it in 90' with 20,000 miles on it. Still drives it alittle but bought a van to hold all the kids and needs to get rid of a car. I'm still in awe. Sorry I just had to vent off alittle excitement, it's not gonna be pretty or fast, but now I have something to put my ski rack on and hit the slopes this winter!

oh, and it's a four door (when I say sedan I know what I mean ;) )

-last updateJust came home with it. payed 700 with the snows, it's as gutless as my old loyale but it will do nicely as my winter car (I still got it up to 85 on the freeway) . It's in incredible shape, the interior is like new. it actually looks nicer than I thought it would. I'm gonna use it as a daily driver and park my 81 celica until I have the money to customize/restore/mod it, it has 130,000 original miles on it and a premo interior (not counting the seats).