Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2.5 SOHC engine from a M/T 2001 Legacy wagon in my 2000 A/T Legacy sedan. I inherited this mess from an ebay seller who had it running(poorly) with a M/T engine computer installed. After I replaced the check engine light bulb (which they apparently pulled) it threw many codes.

I put a A/T computer in but it will not start. I changed the crank shaft pully(which is different in the manual transmission) with the A/T version but still no start. It continues to throw the P0340 code which is a cam shaft failure. I've replaced that sensor and checked continuity and everything checks out OK. I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreaciated!!!!!

I have a 2.5 SOHC engine from a M/T 2001 Legacy wagon in my 2000 A/T Legacy sedan. I inherited this mess from an ebay seller who had it running(poorly) with a M/T engine computer installed. After I replaced the check engine light bulb (which they apparently pulled) it threw many codes.

I put a A/T computer in but it will not start. I changed the crank shaft pully(which is different in the manual transmission) with the A/T version but still no start. It continues to throw the P0340 code which is a cam shaft failure. I've replaced that sensor and checked continuity and everything checks out OK. I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreaciated!!!!!

A M/T computer and A/T computer are not interchangeable, there are contacts and messages that go to and from A/T to the computer. I am sure this is why it will not start, not getting correct info for the A/T tranny so will not fire.

A M/T computer and A/T computer are not interchangeable, there are contacts and messages that go to and from A/T to the computer. I am sure this is why it will not start, not getting correct info for the A/T tranny so will not fire.

You misunderstud it stoped starting when i put the automatic tranny computer in and it just throws two codes about the cam angle sensor range performance problem. so it has some thing to do with the timing system...some one help i need a fix!

it stoped starting when i put the automatic tranny computer in

I did understand.

There are communication signals from the auto transmission to the computer. Since the computer is not receiving signals from the Automatic transmission it will not start. You need to have a Manual Transmission computer in place and not a Auto Transmission computer.

Richard,

Thanks for your reply. The car does have an automatic tranmission and now

it has an automatic tranmission computer installed so the two of them should be able to communicate correctly. I've changed the crank sprocket (which is different in the M/T engine) to the A/T type. Some models had a different cam sprocket but I believe this engine had no difference between the two(ATor MT) We are going to take the cam sprocket off to check it and also check to make sure the A/T computer is working properly.

HOOD

/-------\

|.. H4 ..| <-----------Engine block + timing sys from a 2001 M/T Wagon

|.. AT.. | <------------Oringinal tranny (2000 A/T Sedan

| _____ |

/.. .Com. \ <----------Computer from a junk yard for a 2000 w/AT

The computer is trowing two cam angle sensor codes

Ok now for the test question.... where is the conflict? And how do i solve it?

PLEASE HELP!!! Thank you!