Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

97 Outback... front brake wear

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ratpeters

Ratpeters

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Madison

Posted 11 September 2004 - 03:57 PM

I have a 1997 Outback with 160k miles. Since I've owned it, I've replaced both front calipers because the pistons seem to have hung-up. I thought that would take care of my problem which is that the driver's side always seems to be wearing much faster then the other. Also, when I had the discs turned, they commented that I had some overheat damage on one of the discs. I lubed the slides but what more can I do? Even now after you drive it a while, you can feel more heat coming off the driver's side disc after you stop. Also, I seem to have a slight shimmy of the steering wheel at speed. Are these issues related? How do I correct the brake wear part?

#2 ststephen

ststephen

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 11 September 2004 - 06:20 PM

I am NOT for sure on this, but sounds like one of your rotors is warped. This would cause the unusual wear you mention (and the heat) and would be due to the heat damage they mentioned. I would do new rotors and new pads.
Does the car shimmy when braking? This is another tell-tale sign of a warped rotor.

#3 Adnan

Adnan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Fremont

Posted 11 September 2004 - 09:21 PM

Hi,

Are you certain it was a problem with the caliper pistons and not the brake hoses? Perhaps a little of both?

If your flex hoses that connect the caliper to the rigid lines is showing its age (swelling up, not allowing fluid to return) then one side could be applying the brakes all the time. Do you feel the car pull to one side? The shimmy could be the pads pressing on a slightly warped rotor.

For starters, try flushing the brake fluid and replacing it all. As the fluid comes out of the calipers, examine it for particles which may indicate deteriorating hoses. Oh, and use Castrol LMA brake fluid, good stuff.

Regards,
Adnan

#4 BillAileo

BillAileo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Susquehanna County

Posted 12 September 2004 - 07:20 AM

I would join in the recommendation that you replace the rotors. In addition to the symptoms you've reported, you also noted that the guys who turned the rotors noted heat damage. It has been my impression (perhaps incorrect) that once you've got a heat damaged rotor it's time to get new ones....

Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users