Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The vanishing transmission noise

My 5 speed has been making more noise as it worked past 100,000 miles.

I took the car in for an oil change and the 105,000 mile service the other day. Just too busy at work to bother myself, but I did clean the engine first to be kind to the mechanic.

When the car came back the transmission acted like it had lost 50,000 miles. Even my wife who has no interest in cars noticed how much quieter the car was on decelleration.

I searched the bill for a reason as nothing they were supposed to do should affect the transmission.

No extra charge for anything transmission related. I popped the hood and checked the transmission dipstick and the oil was brand new. I had been planning to change the oil to see if I could cut the tranny noise and it has been done for me.

The mechanic was also kind enough to leave me a note saying the car was very clean and there was nothing at all wrong with it.

Since we hear so many bad dealer and mechanic stories I thought I would shanre a pleasant one with you.

Hi,

Isn't it nice when you get that kind of service? Well, you cleaned the engine to be nice to the mechanic; what goes around comes around.

I had my other car in for something and I took along a new O2 sensor for them to install. They did it, no charge, just because.

That's how you earn a lifelong customer.

Regards,

Adnan

Generally it has just sounded like a worn transmission the older it gets. Sort of an EEEEEEEEEE sound when you back off and it is still in gear.

When they get like that heavier oil will usually quiet them a bit till they get more worn.

By the way Adnan, you are just across the bridge from me, I am in San Mateo.