Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For those of you with 1600's ...

mcbrat

I highly recommend the swap over to the 82+ electronic disty/coil/alt

I put a new 83 coil, and a disty/alt from a 83 Brat into my '80 GL 4x4 wagon with 1600.

it runs awesome now. I was hitting 80-85 today no problems, and it would hold the 80 up the hills that normaly I would have sunk down to 60-65 on....

:)

and the swap is easy...

remove Alt

remove coil and IGN module

cut the plug off the Ext VR, and use the wires to join the proper ones together as indicated in the first link below. (read the comments too)

install int VR Alt

Install the newer electronic disty, and be sure to use the newer disty's hold down plate.

the ea71 distys had 2 vac lines attached. attach the one for advance to the disty, and plug the retard vac line.

I studied up my wiring diagrams, and used the link below for reference for the alt/VR swap.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/article.php?a=14

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20988

Just curious but is there any advantage to replacing a alternator that uses an external voltage regulator with a alt with an internal? Its been awhile since I looked under the hood of my 79 wagon but I believe I have an ex reg that is located in between the battery and the coil or above the coil. I'm planning a complete 1600 rebuild sometime this year. Great info!