Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear disc brakes to Brat?

Guest lumpc1

Guest lumpc1

I went to the repair manual an found only pictures of rotors already installed. I went to the archives and found a link that didn't work. So will front rotors and calipers from a ea82 wagon bolt up? what about porportioning valve, master cylinder, and brakets. Any Info or directions to links appreciated. :eek: 8o :smokin:

Guest McBrat

front discs will not bolt up. you will need the rear disc set-up from a 4WD ea82 GL-10 or Turbo. no proportioning valve is needed. the actuating pressures are identical.

when you get the rear discs, get the following:

hub/rotor

calipers

backing plate

as much of the metal brake line as you can get

Guest SubaruJunkie

Here is an article on the conversion:

www.subaru4wd.net/New/mods/reardisk.html

This info will be on the new USRM, but use that page for now. Its a pretty easy swap. Just make sure if your car is a 4WD, that you get the rear disc's from another 4WD Car. 2WD Rear disc's will not work on a 4WD Car, and 4WD Rear disc's wont work on a 2WD car.

Its definatly worth the swap.

-Brian

Guest MilesFox

if you need to find rotors 2wd rear rotors are the same as 4wd, but the hub is different. you can swap the hubs between 2wd and 4wd between the same rotor. calipers are the same either way

the whole setup bolts up the same as the backing plate for drum brakes, the same between ea81 and ea81

Guest thesubarukid

Is it the same for my 87 gl10 wagon? It didn't come with rear discs, and i need to do some brake work soon, so if its an easy bolt up, I'd like to convert it.

Thanks,

Guest edrach

Conversion works for the '87 GL wagon also. Regarding the 2WD vs. 4WD setups, only the hub and backing plates are different. Rotors and calipers are the same.

• 7 months later...
if you need to find rotors 2wd rear rotors are the same as 4wd, but the hub is different. you can swap the hubs between 2wd and 4wd between the same rotor. calipers are the same either way

the whole setup bolts up the same as the backing plate for drum brakes, the same between ea81 and ea81

So you could buy new 4WD rotors; but are the rotors and hub's seperate deals, or if you bought new "rotors" from a parts place it would be the whole hub/rotor. Thereby needing only the calipers?

I've only seen 2 rear discs come through our local Pic'n'Pull and neather sets of rotors were worth touching. The calipers and hubs seemed salvageable.

Anyway just dreams. I need to get my rear drums working first :-p

Is there anything to the wheel bearings, or the hub through which the drive shaft end goes through includes the bearing and this is not a concern. Of course, this is for 4WD's. I have a 1987 Brat and need to get my clutch taken care off first, but the disc conversion sounds appealing.

Regards,

aba