Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

rear disc brakes to Brat?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_lumpc1_*

Guest_lumpc1_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2003 - 10:25 AM

I went to the repair manual an found only pictures of rotors already installed. I went to the archives and found a link that didn't work. So will front rotors and calipers from a ea82 wagon bolt up? what about porportioning valve, master cylinder, and brakets. Any Info or directions to links appreciated. :eek: 8o :smokin:

#2 Guest_McBrat_*

Guest_McBrat_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2003 - 10:50 AM

front discs will not bolt up. you will need the rear disc set-up from a 4WD ea82 GL-10 or Turbo. no proportioning valve is needed. the actuating pressures are identical.

when you get the rear discs, get the following:
hub/rotor
calipers
backing plate
as much of the metal brake line as you can get

#3 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2003 - 01:23 PM

Here is an article on the conversion:

www.subaru4wd.net/New/mods/reardisk.html

This info will be on the new USRM, but use that page for now. Its a pretty easy swap. Just make sure if your car is a 4WD, that you get the rear disc's from another 4WD Car. 2WD Rear disc's will not work on a 4WD Car, and 4WD Rear disc's wont work on a 2WD car.

Its definatly worth the swap.

-Brian

#4 Guest_MilesFox_*

Guest_MilesFox_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2003 - 03:48 PM

if you need to find rotors 2wd rear rotors are the same as 4wd, but the hub is different. you can swap the hubs between 2wd and 4wd between the same rotor. calipers are the same either way

the whole setup bolts up the same as the backing plate for drum brakes, the same between ea81 and ea81

#5 Guest_thesubarukid_*

Guest_thesubarukid_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2003 - 02:00 PM

Is it the same for my 87 gl10 wagon? It didn't come with rear discs, and i need to do some brake work soon, so if its an easy bolt up, I'd like to convert it.

Thanks,

#6 Guest_edrach_*

Guest_edrach_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2003 - 04:53 PM

Conversion works for the '87 GL wagon also. Regarding the 2WD vs. 4WD setups, only the hub and backing plates are different. Rotors and calipers are the same.

#7 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 02 April 2004 - 08:25 PM

if you need to find rotors 2wd rear rotors are the same as 4wd, but the hub is different. you can swap the hubs between 2wd and 4wd between the same rotor. calipers are the same either way

the whole setup bolts up the same as the backing plate for drum brakes, the same between ea81 and ea81

So you could buy new 4WD rotors; but are the rotors and hub's seperate deals, or if you bought new "rotors" from a parts place it would be the whole hub/rotor. Thereby needing only the calipers?

I've only seen 2 rear discs come through our local Pic'n'Pull and neather sets of rotors were worth touching. The calipers and hubs seemed salvageable.

Anyway just dreams. I need to get my rear drums working first :-p

#8 AKIRA

AKIRA

USMB Reverend

• Members
  • 614 posts
  • Jersey Shore (Central) PA

Posted 02 April 2004 - 10:10 PM

hey, not to hijack, but how much would all this cost at your average junkyard?

-AK

#9 edrach

edrach

Charter member OFRT

• Members
  • 12,324 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 03 April 2004 - 12:19 AM

Seattle PAP's--about $60.

#10 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

Subaru Sober since 2010 :(

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 03 April 2004 - 12:27 AM

my JY charges around $80 to $90 for all the parts. The last time I did this job i bought the rotors, hubs & backing plates from a usmb member for $20, and got the calipers from the yard for $20 and saved a ton.

-Brian

#11 aba4430

aba4430

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • Royston, GA

Posted 03 April 2004 - 09:34 AM

Is there anything to the wheel bearings, or the hub through which the drive shaft end goes through includes the bearing and this is not a concern. Of course, this is for 4WD's. I have a 1987 Brat and need to get my clutch taken care off first, but the disc conversion sounds appealing.
Regards,
aba

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users