Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hey read this one again, wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey how is everyone? well guys i told you that i work in a subaru dealership and we had a 97 outback with headgaskets gone, well car is doing great but, we just had 2 subaru's towed to our dealership with 1 overheating and the other one leaking coolant pretty bad. the first one was another 1997 outback with 104k on it temp needle kept pinned on hot, not good he had overheated a couple of times, so we sent the heads to be machined which are ok good for his sake so we need to put the engine back together and it should be ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then another car came in which was a forester 1999 or 2000 about 90k on it with coolant leaking pretty good it had the conditioner recall but guess what this one did not hold with the reconditioner, not good. so this one had headgaskets done and all oil seals done including rear baffle plate. all of a sudden headgaskets galore we have them but not as many as now, i had known there was problems 1997-1999 2.5 engines with headgaskets but ya know its pretty bad i have worked for there for about 2yrs or so, my customers have complained to subaru and subaru has hepled them with the repair which was great. subaru is good about helping there customers. i have an outback 59k on it if headgaskets go on mine of course it will be cheaper for me to have the repair done cause i work there. so anyone want to share any headgasket stories with me let me know i curiuos to hear about it gotta go

I'm going to have to second the puctuation, use of grammar comment.

So I see the title and click, read about half a line and just go to another thread. You may have something good to say. But I'll never read it. Type it in a way that is easier to read. Not trying to bust your chops (much). Jay

• 4 months later...

I'm new to this board, so pardon me if I screw it up. I just wanted to reply to Chadwick about our problems with our 1999 Forester. We had a coolant leak about 8 months ago--about 50,000 miles. It was the head gaskets and we were told by the dealer that they just got a service bulletin on this and that they could add some additive to "gum it up", and that would fix our problems. Well two weeks ago, I noticed that familiar sweet smell and knew it had to be the head gaskets. Sure enough it was, and Subaru replaced it at no cost to us. Meanwhile, a few months ago, we found out we need a new clutch--very surprised at 50,000. Subaru's quote was extremely expensive, so we took it to a guy who fixes Subarus for a living. While he was replacing the clutch, he found a leaky baffel, I don't remember right now which wheel, and said something to the effect that Subaru knew there was a problem with the baffels on the earlier models of the Foresters and changed the material they were using. We are now writing Subaru to get some reimbursement for our expenses, so I was wondering if anyone else knew anything about the baffle situation and if Subaru has admitted that there is a problem, changed materials, etc. Thanks for any advice.

ENOUGH ALREADY!

While I don't expect that any of us on here have doctorate degrees (I do), this nonsense about criticizing punctuation or the ever popular, "Don't use all capital letters, it's yelling!" is absurd. As high as I turn up the volume on my speakers, I've never noticed any "loudness" from capital letters.

I've received emails from Wall Street guys who type without any capital letters at all... guess they invest their "capital" in better places.

I've seen contributions to this site from guys (and gals) for whom English is a second language, yet they give it their best shot. Bravo.

I've gotten letters from others with professional degrees like mine who might seem dumb as dirt as evidenced in their writing, but SO WHAT????

DID YOU HEAR ME????

GET OVER IT HENRY HIGGINS!!!!

This site is about sharing Subaru experiences and helping others who may not have the same education OR sensibilities as you.

Let's get back to business.

2000 legacy had that smell since i bought it used from a dealer, wasnt until about 6 months later i had it checked out and sure enough my worst fears were true, at first the dealer wanted 480 bucks to install new head gaskets but after making a call to the zone office i was on my way back to the dealer with an " extended warranty" and soon after got a letter titled Service Program WWP-99 which told of the additive and offered reimbursements for any head gasket replacements on vehicles under 100,000 miles,

Jay,

I would like to address your "baffle" question.

As my subject says "I am baffled by your baffles"

Are you sure he said "baffle" not "bearing" as there is a very well documented problem with Forester/Impreza (same platform) rear bearings.

I've had two Foresters and still have an Impreza - I have had a total of 4 sets of rear bearings replaced.

They have a problem and now can deal with it, my last set set me back over 500 skins - dam stealership.

My MY00 2.5 RS has the clutch shudder problem also.

I know the headgasket is going to go.

I plan on getting the "oatmeal" treatment -

ya'd think these cars were made by GM or sumtin.

I'd have better luck with a Mego Igo Yugo

Brus Brother,

I'm confused as to why you see no difference in the use of lowercase and capital letters when you used CAPS to put emphisis on some of your statements. When read these statement seemed as if they would have been yelled if you were speaking them. I apologize for my use of capital letters and punctuation, whether it be correct or not. I will not return to writing with alllower case. if i thought i was going to be graded on spelling and grammer i'd go somewhere else.

internet writing format: make it readable, misspelling fine,punctuation mistakes whatever, as long as we can read it

ENOUGH ALREADY!

While I don't expect that any of us on here have doctorate degrees (I do), this nonsense about criticizing punctuation or the ever popular, "Don't use all capital letters, it's yelling!" is absurd. As high as I turn up the volume on my speakers, I've never noticed any "loudness" from capital letters.

I've received emails from Wall Street guys who type without any capital letters at all... guess they invest their "capital" in better places.

I've seen contributions to this site from guys (and gals) for whom English is a second language, yet they give it their best shot. Bravo.

I've gotten letters from others with professional degrees like mine who might seem dumb as dirt as evidenced in their writing, but SO WHAT????

DID YOU HEAR ME????

GET OVER IT HENRY HIGGINS!!!!

This site is about sharing Subaru experiences and helping others who may not have the same education OR sensibilities as you.

Let's get back to business.

dude chill out and don't be so critical not all of us are perfect like you

Brus Brother,

I'm confused as to why you see no difference in the use of lowercase and capital letters when you used CAPS to put emphisis on some of your statements. When read these statement seemed as if they would have been yelled if you were speaking them. I apologize for my use of capital letters and punctuation, whether it be correct or not. I will not return to writing with alllower case. if i thought i was going to be graded on spelling and grammer i'd go somewhere else.

internet writing format: make it readable, misspelling fine,punctuation mistakes whatever, as long as we can read it

hey man i agree with you that guy is the one who should leave this site

and go somewhere else he was quite rude

Not sure why the misunderstanding. I was writing in defense of Chadwick who was first criticized for lack of punctuation. I see no need for what I've seen here and on other occasions where people are critiqued for the use of all capital letters, no punctuation etc.. and that was my point. I was being sarcastic in my use of capital letters... get it? Read it again gents. What I did say is that despite advanced degrees and the like, it doesn't matter on this site in particular and for those local members of the site that know me, it matters little in my own life. Stick to the business at hand... grease and cars! Leave the rest to the internet grammar police.

Oh, by the way, Chadwick, check your Private Message that I sent hours ago, still confirmed as unread. This should clarify what were my intentions. Sorry it wasn't understood. No good deed goes unpunished.

I'm new to this board, so pardon me if I screw it up. I just wanted to reply to Chadwick about our problems with our 1999 Forester. We had a coolant leak about 8 months ago--about 50,000 miles. It was the head gaskets and we were told by the dealer that they just got a service bulletin on this and that they could add some additive to "gum it up", and that would fix our problems. Well two weeks ago, I noticed that familiar sweet smell and knew it had to be the head gaskets. Sure enough it was, and Subaru replaced it at no cost to us. Meanwhile, a few months ago, we found out we need a new clutch--very surprised at 50,000. Subaru's quote was extremely expensive, so we took it to a guy who fixes Subarus for a living. While he was replacing the clutch, he found a leaky baffel, I don't remember right now which wheel, and said something to the effect that Subaru knew there was a problem with the baffels on the earlier models of the Foresters and changed the material they were using. We are now writing Subaru to get some reimbursement for our expenses, so I was wondering if anyone else knew anything about the baffle situation and if Subaru has admitted that there is a problem, changed materials, etc. Thanks for any advice.
To answer your question on the baffle

Yes they updated the baffle ( which is call a separator plate , it is part of the PCV system )from the black fenolic plastic to an aluminum one .

I doubt that you will get any reimbursment , since the work was not done at the dealership

SEA#3