Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy - starter/solonoid clicking?

Hi all - 95 2.2 manual Legacy - starter clicks occasionally but eventually turns over - is this maybe the solonoid contacts, can this be solved by cleaning contacts, or should I just go ahead and replace the starter/solonoid unit altogether? It lookds like an easy swap. As usual, all input appreciated! :)

Thanks - I have a used starter I picked up on EBAY I am going to slap in today(I am laid off, and it is still warm out so I will do that this a.m.) - I am curious how to replace these "contacts" on the bad one, I may just do it and have a spare again- my HAYNES manual shows how to separate the solonoid from the starter, but it doesn't say how to service these "contacts" - can any of y'all advise me on this? (and where to get new contacts?) :)

Thanks - I have a used starter I picked up on EBAY I am going to slap in today(I am laid off, and it is still warm out so I will do that this a.m.) - I am curious how to replace these "contacts" on the bad one, I may just do it and have a spare again- my HAYNES manual shows how to separate the solonoid from the starter, but it doesn't say how to service these "contacts" - can any of y'all advise me on this? (and where to get new contacts?) :)
Contacts (L shaped) are cheap and very easy to replace. You can get them at a starter/aternator rebuilding shop or even elswhere. According to some people here, you can just clean the plunger disc (bridging the two contacs when the solenoid is activated). In my case I got contacs and plunger for aroud 15$ USD (20$ Can).