Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Re-Ring EA82

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 swisscheese

swisscheese

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Everett

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:45 AM

I need verification that I can pull the pistons without splitting the case. I have a ridge reamer and can make a piston pin puller, and I have the tools to hone the cylinder and replace the piston, but the chilton book I have stops short of actually saying that I can pull the pistons without splitting the case.

Also, where is a good source for head gaskets at an inexpensive price?

Thanks!

#2 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:07 AM

My FSM says to split the case..

Headgaskets.. Inexpensive is a relative thing....Be too cheap and you get crap and end up doing it again.. Try the felpro permatorques.. no retorquing and I believe they are about $40

#3 toybuilder

toybuilder

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 458 posts
  • Longmont

Posted 15 September 2004 - 01:16 PM

It can be done without splitting the case. After removing the wrist pin you can turn the crankshaft and the con rod will push the piston up, turn the crankshaft all the way around, and the piston will stay at the top and the rod will come back to the bottom. Now put the wrist pin back into the rod and the turn the crankshaft again, it will push the piston far enough out of the block that you can get it out. Repeat the process for each cylinder. I hope that that makes sense. It will work. You wont need the ridge reamer.

Good luck. Buy Quality gaskets.

#4 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 15 September 2004 - 01:36 PM

Toybuilder is right on. I've used that method several times. Just be careful and you shouldn't have to worry about damaging the wrist pin or anything like that.

#5 swisscheese

swisscheese

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Everett

Posted 15 September 2004 - 01:36 PM

That is exactly the info I needed. Thanks for the input! :cool:

#6 Subi81

Subi81

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,006 posts
  • Ventura, Ca

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:02 PM

I thought about doing that too but how are you going to hone the cylinder, Won't the rod get in the way. ie the rod will be resting on the bottom of the cylinder at the bottom of the stroke?

#7 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:38 PM

If you've got a 3-stone (non bottle-brush) hone, you might be able to get the rod to balance upright and hone around it. I don't know if that would work, but it's a thought.

#8 Nug

Nug

Lurker/off-topic poster

• Members
  • 1,966 posts
  • West Point

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:03 PM

Honing the entire cylinder isn't necessary. The rings don't contact the cylinder from top to bottom.

If you hone, the cylinder walls need to be absolutely spotless before you slam pistons back in there.

White glove clean. Take your time and do it right.

#9 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,941 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:18 PM

Honestly I don't see the point in not splitting the case. The number of additional parts needed is extremely minimal, the oil pan gasket and pickup tube o-ring on these engines is almost always in need of replacement, and installation of the rings will be easier with the case halves laying upright on a bench where you can tap them downward and really see what you are doing.

#10 swisscheese

swisscheese

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Everett

Posted 16 September 2004 - 10:19 AM

I have been thinking (Warning!), and Shawn is right, once I have gone that far, another hour to split and reassemble the case would probably pay for itself in overall time saved, cleanliness and saved frustration from working in awkward positions (imagine laying on your back honing the cylinder with the honing oil all pouring back in your face:mad:). I will prolly end up doing that. It will give me a chance to check the main bearings as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users