Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings from a new member

Howdy all. I have just taken the plunge and registered on this board although I have checked out lots of your posts in the past. Always found some interesting reading! I currently own two Subarus: A '97 Legacy Brighton Wagon (actually is the wife's car) and an '87 GL wagon (pretty much a goner due to rust). My current Subaru situation is that the '97 is up for inspection and they have just instituted mandatory emmissions inspection here. Since my CEL light is on (has been for a LONG time), it failed inspection. I took care of the mechanical problems and will bring the car back to the inspection station/garage tomorrow and I plan to have them read me the computer codes. Guess I'll gpo from there, right?

Looking forward to interacting with y'all!

Mike V

Mike V,

I've fooled smog stations with older cars, but the new OBD-II systems are a headache. If you don't live a communist state (i.e. cali) you should be able to take it to any good auto parts store and they will read your codes for you for free. It's probably something simple like an o2 sensor (or 2). Once you replace the bad part you should clear the codes and you should drive it for around a week before you try to smog it again. It takes about a week before the computer starts accepting long term memory. There are ways to speed this process up... but I'm not sure if they work.

I heard to beat emissions you can let your tank get down to like 1/4 of a tank and put in a whole bunch of the Heet alcohol additive. It will be running off moslty alcohol and should be real clean. I dont know if this works...but it might.

Yep that was my fix. I have done this on lots of cars. But that will not fix the CEL light that is on. If that is on you automatically fail.

Thanks for warm welcome guys!

Well, I just dropped the '97 2.2 back at the service station/inspection station. This is just your basic local garage. They specialize in nothing and although they can "inspect" for emissions and pass or fail your car, they do not have a "technicians" license. Apparantly, here in PA, if you have a technicians license and you make the car owner spend enough money (I believe over $150.00) on trying to get the car to pass the emissions test, they can put a sticker on it even if it does not actually pass! Some scam, huh!?!

Anyway, it seems these guys can at least read the computer codes. I don't know if they will be able to interpret them. I may be back here later today for help with that...

Oh yeah - As far as I know the car is not actually emitting high amounts of pollution. Since the CEL is on, it fails automatically. So, 'round we go...

Thanks again folks. I'll be in touch.

Mike V