Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat dead AGAIN!!! Please read

Ok so I was having some problems with the Brat a week ago with the brake light and the charge light coming on. It would run for about 20 seconds GREAT but then it would start to die and the lights would go off and then it would completley die. So I finally got it running without the lights coming on and the other night I was pulling into Taco Bell to get some food and it did it again. Now I can't get it going without the lights off because it runs for about 20 seconds and then it dies. What the hell is going on??? Is it the alternator going bad because I have a theory about the fuel pump being driven off of the ignition while its cranking and then when it starts, it runs off of the field windings, field is dead so the fuel pump quits working so then it drains the bowl. Is this right? I do have another alternator but the brushes are broken in it and so I could use both of them for parts and make one good one but I also have this feeling the VR might be bad as well..... Help?

ehh moving to Wyoming = no money. EVen to FIND one in a wrecking yard is kinda rare and I don't have the time to go shopping around since I still have a bunch to pack so I'm just gonna see if the alternator is bad and if it is, I'm gonna rebuild it with my other alternator. If its not bad, I'll swap my VR out with the other one...