Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester Rear Suspension Failure

I have had both rear struts fail, the left 1.5 years ago, the right just yesterday. The perch that the spring sits on, collapses and rubs on the tire. The Sub mechanic has said he's changed several rear struts for this same problem.

Anyone else have this type of failure?

Thanks

Yes, the left rear strut on our '99 outback did that at about 135k miles. I noticed it because of the groove it left in the tire.

Thanks! I brought my problem to the attention of Transport Canada - if your US it would be similar to your NTSB I think.

Did Subaru assist in any way or were they happy to take your money on replacing the strut?

Thanks! I brought my problem to the attention of Transport Canada - if your US it would be similar to your NTSB I think.

Did Subaru assist in any way or were they happy to take your money on replacing the strut?

I replaced struts, springs, and strut mounts on both sides myself at that time, my $. I don't expect Subaru to fix problems at 135k miles. Maybe I should have tried to get them to fix it, but probably not worth my time. Our outback has seen TONS of salt. The OEM KYBs don't seem to be painted very well, though it seems that good quality paint is a thing of the past on so many things.

You can thank the EPA for that.

The push to remove lead and solvent based paints has led to new products that do not have either the coverage, nor the logevity of older paints.

My point would be , how many Struts are out there, on all vehicles? and even when they were called MacPherson. How many have failed the way these Subaru struts have failed? None on my previous cars.

My suggestion is that it's a design flaw.