Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Idle problems continue, help! EA81

Well, it seems that Murphy's Law is in full effect. The day that I am going to take my 84 GL into get it smogged, the idle starts doing crazy things. It all began after I was "fiddling" around with the intrument panel to get a smog light (ECS) to no longer light up. After that the car would idle around 500-600 rpm, running real rough. Checked all the vac's and no leaks, moved the idle up on the carb and it worked for awhile, but then dropped back down again. And it is intermittent. Sometimes it idles fine and runs great, about 30% of the time, but the rest! It idles real low, and sounds like its misfiring up to about 1500 rpm before smoothing out and running normal. It will change from running bad to running perfect one minute to the next. I didn't disconnect any wiring while in the instrument panel, not sure how that could have caused the problem. A friend mentioned a pcv valve problem he had with his brat that was similar. Any suggestions? I am baffled.

This is going to sound alot more complicated than it really is. The light you are trying to get to go out is telling you that you have a problem, and that you need to access the computor, and it will tell you exactly what the problem(s) is. and which part(s) are bad. It is a rather long diagnostic process, so if you want to tackle it, e-mail me directly and I can send you the diagnostic charts and trouble codes to download. FYI most states check that light as part of the emissions test.

Kerry/Roo-Builders

www.ccrengines.com/roobuilders

rubuild@aol.com

Yeah, I have a friend that has those codes, I will get them from him and check it out. I was told by the previous owner that they had it checked out (the code from the computer) and that the malfunctioning part was a part that was unavailable in the US. But I want to know for myself, besides this idle problem is driving me nuts!!! I will check the manifold too. Thanks for all your input guys! I appreciate it. And I will contact you if subieman doesn't have the codes I need.

sorry if this is off topic but...

I just bought a 84 GL Sedan, has the same light on(goes on and off actually), but it passed emissions with flying colors(bought it yesterday, took it in today). might have something to do with the fact that mine has 88,000 miles on it though. I love your car, wish mine was a manual four-wheel drive (its an AT front wheel) but I can't really complain for $700. hope you figure it out.

• 2 months later...

What code is the computer "throwing"?

I have a Cal-spec '83 wagon (and FSM), I can translate the code if your '84 is the same. Lithia Subaru in Reno is actually pretty good at getting the older parts..stay away from Michael Hohl though, major crooks. I've had good luck at South Shore Ford(Subaru) for my Cal-spec stuff:) .

Does your part of Washoe County have emissions testing (mine doesn't)? You'll probably need to correct that prob before you can transfer title.