Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For you turbo gl10 guru's

pwoens

it just occurred to me that one could get the cooling duct from on top of an XT's turbo and chop it and mount it upside down on the stock filter box to act as an easy heat shield.

i just don't see any reason to cut a hole in the fender, and the difference in filtering for paper or oiled cloth filters is *cumulative*. you won't see a difference except your engine will, over time, be more susceptible to failures from dirty air.

paper filters better and for a stock turbo with the airbox cut out, you're not going to need the extra flow from an oiled cloth filter except at high high high RPMS, and that's when you start to run into problems anyway. stick with paper and your engine will thank you :)

Hello..where can one buy the three way catalyst..Thanks

*edit*: I'd forgotten the title said "guru" when I wrote this. I do not qualify, but still think my comments are relevant.*end edit*

I'm going to write a rant on this later, but for now I will mostly agree with All_talk.

If you cut up your airbox you will increase the noise (I have an aversion to listen to a loud monotonic drone for 15-16 hours straight, but that is just me) and you will not be doing your engine any real good. Seems to me that improving the airbox and using a standardized filtration medium (replaceable at any walmart/napa/csk/whatever) makes more sense than drawing hot air though an overpriced cone. Again, personal preference, possibly influenced by the onset of old-timer's syndrome.

As far as catalytic converters, I am against the continued practice of dumping what has become mature emissions control equipment. Instead of completely removing effective equipment, why not just bring it up to the New Millenium? Get a free-flowing 3-way catalyst to replace the 2 old-tech and cost-conscious cats. Better flow, probably better emission reduction, and the birds won't be croaking as you drive by.

But of course maybe people enjoy their fancy fast cars smelling like a '60's pickup truck.

Sorry, spent more than my alloted 2 cents.

A thought... Anybody done, or seriously thought about, tapping into the base-of-windscreen ventilation plenum to get cold air? Still would have to do a little something to deal with the "water and crap" issue, but prob less so than with a scoop. You also get a minor benefit in that the window base area is a high pressure area. Benefit for old-fogeys is that it wouldn't need to look mod'ed.

Not on this site but at NASIOC a while back, someone was making an intake like to to sell. It fell through because of fitment issues but it seemed to work pretty well.