Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Turbo rebuild help needed

torxxx

So I'm rebuilding a turbo at work. changing heads and all the seals. When I pulled the flywheel off I didnt mark where it was to the crankshaft. So to make sure I get it back on right (so the timing marks are lined up right) what do I have to do?

The 3 marks on the flywheel (used for putting on the t-belts) the center line is for 1st cylinder TDC correct? So then if the center line is at the top mark on the bell housing and 1st cylinder it TDC everything will work right for when I time the engine correct?

As far as the three marks (why there are three is a mystery to me), those DON'T indicate TDC on #1. That's indicated by the degreed portion that you set the ignition timing from. I honestly don't know why those marks are where they are. Why didn't they just time it at TDC and adjust the marks on the cams accordingly? If anybody knows, I would love to learn why.

If you've got any more questions, don't be afraid to ask. I may have some for you when I tear down my turbo motor at Christmas break.