Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Failed emissions test/CEL

Hello again,

Well, as I mentioned in previous thread, my '97 2.2 MT failed PA state emissioins testing because the CEL is on. I asked the inspection station (actually just your basic local garage/gas station) guy to pull the codes and when I picked up the car last night they told me the computer says I have a misfire on Cyls 2 and 4. The guy there suggested I replace the spark plugs and ignition wires, drive the car around a few days and "maybe" that the computer will clear. I do not like to "fix" things in this manner (i.e. replace a part and hope for the best). Also, I replaced the plugs and wires about a year ago.

I plan to stop by my local Subaru dealer at lunch today and chat with a mechanic there who has been helpfuil in the past.

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks!

Mike V

misfire in the cyl?

most probable causes:

bad spark plugs (but why is another question)

bad plug wires

corosion on plug wire connections

head gasket failure (probably not with the 2.2)

bad coil

bad gas

I would do a simple tune up: new plugs, wires, and pick up a tube of dielectric grease to coat all the connections. Then pull your battery cables for a half hour and let her relearn everything. You will probably have to wait a week before resmogging it after clearing the codes.

read your plugs when you pull them out. There's a great website for this, do a google search. White is bad, black is bad, green is real bad, tan to brown is good.

*edited to add* After the tune up run a bottle of redline fuel injector cleaner in it. I usually use half the bottle with a full tank every 20k or so.