Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering Knocking/Rattle Noise When Turning

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but when I bought my 2000GT Legacy, there was a pronounced clunking on turning and I was told this had been occuring for a few model years. Eventually, they came up with a TSB that involved changing out some power steering hoses. It seems to have eliminated the problem.

Thnaks for all the replies.

No its not cold overhere (Seattle type of weather).

Rattle comes from the inside of the car, and sounds like a loose bolt, but is not. Checked all.

It only sounds when turning right on aa bumpy road.

I had the suspension sound. Was more like a clunck (is that the way you spell it?). Took care off that.

I am interested in the TSB they mention on endwrench(had the title of this post.

If nobody has it I will download it.

Thanks,

Jaap

• 1 month later...
Not sure if we're talking about the same thing, but when I bought my 2000GT Legacy, there was a pronounced clunking on turning and I was told this had been occuring for a few model years. Eventually, they came up with a TSB that involved changing out some power steering hoses. It seems to have eliminated the problem.

Took our 2000 Legacy SW in for routine servicing at 75k. The dealership found a oil leak and I agreed to have the oil pump rebuilt, gaskets replaced, etc.

After dropping some change for the repairs my wife drove off to an evening meeting. Next morning as I was getting ready to leave for work she mentioned there was a noise coming from the front end. Noise? Well, when I turned out of our drive way I got a loud 'groan' and vibration from the left front.

I waited for the dealer to open and took it in explaining the problem. He brought out their mechanic who I let drive the car. The car continued to loudly groan at low speed turns. They gave me a loaner for the day and I didn't hear until the end of the work day. By then I was starting to worry.

Sure enough, even though I made it clear there was no steering problem prior to their working underneath the car they're now saying it involves possibly replacing the power steering hoses and pump for up to about a grand in costs.

When I complained again that nothing was wrong before they serviced the car the service rep said he'd contact Subaru. He said even though we weren't covered by warrenty we did own two Subarus with an 'excellent' service record and he'd get back to me at the end of the following week.

In the meantime I've found an independent shop to look at the problem. Any suggestions where I can find any info on front end/steering problems?

Thanks,

Amphibo

JaapH,

The TSB you are talking about for your 96 says to replace the steering shaft u-joint with an improved part with built in dampner. The part is pretty expensive and looks identical to the old part. Don't see any dampner. Some have tried this fix without much luck. Problem may actually be internal steering rack problems.

amphibo,

Sounds like air in the power steering system. Lift front tires of the ground, slowly turn steering wheel lock to lock repetedly to bleed air.

Thanks. Will try the bleeding. However the sound is very 'mechanical' like metal on metal. The u-joint story sounds ok. I don't mind the sound but just wanted to konw the cause.

Thanks any way.

JaapH

The bleeding part was directed at the person with the question about his 2000.