Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This is my first post, so be nice!

I have a '91 Legacy Wagon LS, and I am having trouble replacing a starter. When I install the new starter and turn the ignition on, the starter motor spins, but the bendix drive does not engage the flywheel. I have tested the starter to make sure the bendix was working by separating it from the engine while all the wiring was still hooked up. Upon turning the ignition on, the bendix drive pops out and starts spinning, just like it is supposed to. I can't find anything wrong with the starter, and there is nothing foreign up against the flywheel to block the bendix drive from coming out and grabbing the flywheel. I am clueless. I anyone has any ideas, I would be most greatfull.

P.S. The new starter is a Bosch rebuilt from www.maximumautoparts.com/

Sea#3 is probaly right, but you might also check to see if the teeth are good on the flywheel? Maybe it got stripped from the old starter. You could turn your motor by turning the crank pully just a little and then see if the starter will catch on some good teeth.

SEA#3 I am sorry about not mentioning my transmission type. It is automatic. While I am quite confident that I ordered the correct starter, it certainly seems like that would be a easy mixup for the seller to make. I will have to look into that.

tcspeer Thanks for the idea. A friend also mentioned that. I was able to take a mirror and visibly check the flywheel. None of the teeth are missing, nor are they worn.

Thanks, guys

I never realized there was a difference in starters between a manual and automatic transmission. Does this have to do with the flywheel somehow? Diameter maybe?

I like your name Subie. Good one. Welcome to the forum. No questions are considered too elementry. Here you have brought up something I didn't know about. This helps us all learn something. There are some good technical savy folks here that would make great auto techs at a shop, but do other things for a living.

I'm no starter expert, but if same was happening to me, I would investigate three possibilities:

1) The battery is too weak (or the battery's contacts are loose or corroded or...) to make the bendix engage the flywheel (do you get the same wirrr that you get when the starter is unbolted or does it sound like the bendix is contacting the flywheel but not engaging it?)

2) The starter's main contact is not hooked up properly (dirty or corroded or...) A LOT of amperage is going thru there. Would not take too much to lower the voltage...

3) The starter is misaligned. That seems farfetched cause you only have two bolts to fasten, but you never know.

My 2 cents...

The bendix may have a problem and is not moving the gear as it should be when mounted to the engine. If the depth of travel is ok and the bendix is working then the gear size must wrong. You may have to get someone from the place you purchased this from to exchange it for another one, as was suggested.

It seems to me that the starter will not spin until the bendix armature engages the two contacts that supply 12 volts to the motor. So I have to assume that the bendix is popping out all the way.

I would question whether or not the gear is extending far enough to contact the flywheel, since this appears to be the problem.

If you have the old starter, check how far the gear will extend, then check your new one. I can't remember exactly what the gear looks like, and can't check it on my old starter until I get home, but I wonder if it is possible that the gear was installed upside down.

You can also measure the distance between the edge of the bell housing and the teeth on the flywheel, and compare that to the gear on the starter when it is extended.

later...

OK, I checked, no way could they put the gear on wrong, at least I hope. You'll have to measure the throw on the gear and compare to the distance between the edge of the housing and the flywheel.

Tiny

Car fixed!!!!!!!!!!

It turns out the the starter they sent me was the wrong one! I ended up asking a sales guy at a local Napa about it, who was able to check the universal part number. He confirmed that the starter they sent me was the wrong one. I think that several of you were on the right track. This very well might have been for a manual. I also don't think the bendix extended out as far as the old one. Just a note for future reference, the Bosch rebuilt starter that I ordered online seemed to be a sturdier, more heavily built, all around better starter than the on I picked up at Napa. The bendix gear mechanism especially seemed way better. While I can't testify to the longevity of one, I would definitely recommend a Bosch rebuilt starter. If you have to order one, just pray they send you the right one! Thanks to all those that put some thought into my problem and helped me figure this one out. Go Subarus.

applications of the same basic unit. You have just learned why many mechanics keep the old unit until fitting the new one has been done and tested. Sometimes I have had to strip parts like the mount, or reclock (turn the houseing) on a unit in order to have the car done on time.