Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I Hate Shopers!!!!!

Guest Vickaroo

Went to the HyVee and some dumb head with a shopping chart put a huge dent in my passenger side door!!!! :banghead: (just wish I could have caught that sucker!!!!) It had to have been hit really really hard like maybe on purpose!!!! Its not just a little ding. Its a half dollar size dent!!!! My Rs is only 3 months old!!!! I will have to get it repaired cause its driving me crazy just to look at it... Im hoping they can just pop and buff, but I dont think thats going to be the case here... I dont really want to turn it into the ins. (unless its cost way too much) Sorry I just had to rant some... Dang em Dang em Dang em!!!!! Vicky

Guest Vickaroo

Thanks brus brother.... I think Ill see if I can find that on line... The "city" I live in is soooooooooo small We dont even have a Sonic here!!!!!!! But thank you again for the tip I will check and see what I can find.... Vicky

Wow--no Sonic. That must be small.

I've never bought a new vehicle, so I can't image the fear and frustration of parking lot dings on a brand spankin new ride. Nothing like a new car mechanically, but having that "gently broken in" feel to a used car does ease the parking lot paranoia.

What's the deal w/ these new Saturns? Are really as dent resistant as their commercials profess? I'e frequently wanted to ram one with my shopping cart while strolling back to my car at Wal-Mart just to see if it would resist

I punched the fender on a Saturn and it caved in pretty seriously....and then popped right back out with no trace of being hit as soon as I took pressure off of it. Are these panels painted or is it just dyed plastic? I have a feeling it might be the latter.

-Heikki

Hey Vicki,

Check with the car dealerships around your area. I found my guy cleaning up a bunch of dents at the local Subaru dealer. They don't need much in the way of tools and work out of a truck or car. They use slim pieces of metal with various shaped heads (the tool that is... not the guy) that can be slipped down inside the window channel etc. and gradually romance out the dents.... then poof... dent no more. I paid about $150 and the guy just kept going, taking every little dent out of the car. There was one spot he declared not suitable for the method because of its location so I just let it ride.

Guest Vickaroo

Thanks everyone for the kind words, and advise... Ill check with our dealer this week sometime (picking up a new sun viser) <<<covered under the warrenty.. From now on when I see someone hit anothers car Im going to get a tag number for that person, and ask the person who hit the car to leave a note... NO MORE MRS. Nice GIRL for me... Vicky

I punched the fender on a Saturn and it caved in pretty seriously....and then popped right back out with no trace of being hit as soon as I took pressure off of it. Are these panels painted or is it just dyed plastic? I have a feeling it might be the latter.

-Heikki

The urethane paints used on cars, especially plastic panels, has a high degree of elasticity. They can be bent around a 1" mandrel and not crack - very durable.

Try a chain like Dent Wizard that will massage it out. Many grocery chains will pay for the repair, although you sometimes have to wrangle with them. Shaws paid for the large dent to mine, $275 at Dent Wizard.

I feel for ya Vicky. My wife got rear-ended in our new (6mos old) ForesterXT this a.m. on her way to work. It made a real mess of the frront end of the car that hit her. Bumper plastic broke and her headlights/blinkers got broken, but our Forester had almost no visible damage. I'm taking it to the dealer this week to make sure there is no hidden damage, but I think we lucked out.

I have seen the Dent Wizard folks work near-miracles. As long as the metal isn't too deeply dented or creased, they can usually make it where you honestly can't see where the damage was.

Good Luck!

-Louis-

'04 ForesterXT 5spd

'91 Loyale 4wd 5spd Wagon

Guest Vickaroo

:banana: <<<Me doing the happy dance!!!! Well chef tim took in the Rs yesterday to the guy that does stuff for our dealer here.... This guy did an AWESOME job!!!!! You cant even tell where it was hit!!!! (no more tears in my pillow at night over this one!!!!!) And You guys know what???? He only charged us $25.00!!!!! Do I even need to say it? Yes sir ree bob we will use this guy again!!!! (cause dumb heads will still ram cars with carts!!!!)

Thanks again everyone for the advice and kind thoughts!!!!! Vicky