Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help with 1.8 to 2.2 conversion

Assuming that your EJ18 in the car (I assume is an impreza) is OBD I, you would most likely want to go grab an OBD I EJ22 (first gen legacy until '95) and if it is OBD II, you'd want the 95+ EJ22. The 95+ EJ22s are 135hp. And the impreza EJ22s around '99 are 142hp.

anyhow, what with the right OBD type, it would (as far as what I can remember from reading before...) just swap right in. AFAIK, all the sensors are the same. just a bigger displacement, different internals (but still forged), slightly better flowing heads, different cam specs, and bigger injectors.

Now, if the car's ECU has AIC, and the engine you're grabbing doesn't, you'll want to use the manifold from the EJ18... or I have one here I'll sell you from an EJ22 that has AIC. if for some reason you need to reuse your manifold, I could sell you my spare EJ22 injectors. (circa pre '95 legacy)

Looking at a 1.8 manifold, I don't think it will for a 2.2... The exhaust manifolds are different too, although they still might fit.

OBD= On Board Diagnostics. Basically how you can pull codes from the computer and the generational difference between ECU's. OBD I is up to 1994, you can pull your own codes from this system. OBD II is 95-up, you need a special tool to pull codes. Your 95 Impreza has OBD II, so it would be a good idea to get a 2.2 out of an OBD II car.

AIC, I'm not sure what that is myself, car to elaborate Jon?

AFAIK = As Far As I Know :)

Actually, I wouldn't dump the 1.8 that quickly. It's no powerhouse, but it's a very tough engine, just about as tough as the 2.2 you want to put in there.

Jon,

You are looking at the easiest swap there is, because Subaru actually designed it that way.

The only REAL difference between the 1.8 and the 2.2 is the bore. The stroke is the same, the block is the same otherwise, the heads are the same except for the smaller piston-to-head area. They use the same internals, the same oil pump, water pump, etc.

They're so similar that we have to store our EJ18 heads in a different area so they don't get accidentally mistaken for EJ22s.

Frankly, the gas mileage is better with the EJ18...a point you might want to consider.

You will need the EJ22 manifold: the EJ18 doesn't fit the EJ22 engine right. The ECU, sensors, wiring, etc, all connect up if you're within the same range of years.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

Easy swap??? WRONG!!! The two wiring harnesses are totally different. Bolting the parts in is no problem, they are identical in that respect. I don't know why Jon suggested a Legacy engine, there were Imprezas with 2.2s in 95 and earlier. Subaru did something really strange when it came to wiring up the two cars. For the 1.8 there is a unique wiring harness, but for the 2.2, the harness looks almost exactly like a Legacy harness. I found this out when I did the conversion on my 96 Impreza, believe me, I was very surprized. For example, to convert a 1.8 to a JDM EJ20G, you need to splice 27 wires into the 1.8 harness, but for a 2.2, you need to splice 52 wires, major diffrerence. I would think it would be easier, and less hazzle to find a 2.2 95 Impreza.

Yes, I was thinking it would be better to just find a 2.2. I like this car though because it has no A/C, power windows, door locks, etc., etc...I was thinking most that came with the 2.2 probably came with other options too. I don't know how Subaru packaged these, can anyone comment on the availability of a base model Impreza with a 2.2?

So, can the wiring harness and ECU be changed to accomplish this or do the two harness have to be combined?

You can have a 2.2l and no power windows or locks, but only with AT. All 1995 2.2l models are like that.

There was a thread no so long ago started by someone who bought a rebuilt 2.2 that came with 1.8 intake and electrical parts. It looked like the engine was that way before rebuilding and most likely, came out of a car that originally had 1.8l. It was not compatible with 2.2 wiring and ECU, but maybe that's what you could do to swap 2.2 in place of 1.8. The intake on 1.8 is made of two pieces (actually three), top and bottom (separate on each head). It should fit if all parts are kept. But finding a 2.2 car can be a better option.

Yes, I was thinking it would be better to just find a 2.2. I like this car though because it has no A/C, power windows, door locks, etc., etc...I was thinking most that came with the 2.2 probably came with other options too. I don't know how Subaru packaged these, can anyone comment on the availability of a base model Impreza with a 2.2?

So, can the wiring harness and ECU be changed to accomplish this or do the two harness have to be combined?

Look for a 'L' model, not a 'LS', the 'LS' is the one with all the bells and whistles.

If I were doing it, I would replace the whole wiring harness, but then I would probably have found a 2.2 car before I did that. LOL

Food for though, I have an EJ22G (USDM Turbo Legacy) engine about 95% complete and a complete front wiring harness from a USDM Turbo Legacy.

Corky,

We've sold quite a few EJ22s for Impreza swaps. Now, not having actually done one myself, I can only rely on what I've been told.

The engine wiring harness (part of the intake assembly) is different, but should connect just fine with the main wiring harness.

It probably makes a difference that the ones we've done have been pre-'96 too. Plus anything was not a North American model will NOT just swap in, no matter what anybody tells you. The ECUs are different, the wiring is different, etc.

Now you've got me curious...I want to investigate this further and find out what years will swap with what. But, I think that I still maintain that this is the easiest upgrade EJ swap there is.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

Emily, the engine harnesses are almost identical, it is the body harnesses that are the problem, they aren't even close. I haven't looked, but I would bet that the pin out on the ECU is different too, so you just couldn't plug an ECU for a 2.2 into the 1.8 harness. I'm sure that there are a lot of people who have done this, and if you already had an Impreza with the 1.8, that might be the way to go, but if you are looking for an Impreza and plan to do the conversion later, why not save yourself all the hazzles and find one with a 2.2 in it already.