Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shift Lever will not release

I have a 99 Legacy Outback Wagon (auto trans 2.5L). When it's cold, I cannot shift the car into any gear. I press the button on the shift lever and I cannot pull the lever back into Reverse or Drive. I can hear something clicking below the steering column when I press the button. And yes, I am applying pressure to the brake as I do this. I have to wait until the car warms up before it will work. Sometimes up to 5 minutes. Then it works fine until it's cold again. Winter is coming soon. Can someone help?

You should feel the click in the shift lever, that being the solenoid pulling. If you don't, but you do here a click under the dash, it could be either the relay for the solenoid, or the solenoid itself.

Even if the relay clicks, the contacts might be arced, causing the problem.

You really need a schematic to fix this thing...

I have a 99 Legacy Outback Wagon (auto trans 2.5L). When it's cold, I cannot shift the car into any gear. I press the button on the shift lever and I cannot pull the lever back into Reverse or Drive. I can hear something clicking below the steering column when I press the button. And yes, I am applying pressure to the brake as I do this. I have to wait until the car warms up before it will work. Sometimes up to 5 minutes. Then it works fine until it's cold again. Winter is coming soon. Can someone help?

I have the same problem with my 00 forester. First thing in the morning when it's cold or when the car has been sitting for a while. I hear clicking, but I cant remember where it's coming from (column, shifter?). In warm weather, absolutely no problems.

I'm not an electrical engineer, but why would cold weather affect the shift lock mechanism? what can be done? it sux to wait 10 minutes before you can get going in the winter.

Cold weather can just make things not operate properly. Like humans for example. It makes us slow and lazy. Same applies to your Roo. The selenoid is just having a hard time getting out of bed. Thow the electic blanket over it and hit the snooze bar. Maybe yall should consider getting an automatic start so it will be warmed up when you get to your car in the AM. Just a though...

You could also move to Hurricane alley A.K.A Florida