Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'92 EJ22T & 5spd, into a '90 Legacy Wagon.....

Well, the Sport Sedan is slowly dying. The body is getting worse and worse. The engine and tranny are still in great working condition so I wanna find a shell for a transplant.

My ideal Subaru is a '90 or '91 LSi Wagon, in dark Grey. Im sure most everything is straight forward, but im concerned with the wiring involved. I heard that the EJ22T is almost a direct bolt in for anything pre-94 with OBD1... but just how "bolt in" is it? I will have the entire Legacy Sedan with EJ22T to use for parts, and I assume the only major changes are the crossmember, ECU and of course engine/tranny.

Is there anything else I should prepare for durring the swap. What if the Wagon i find is an Auto?? Would it care if i put a 5spd in?

-Brian

You'd be far better off finding another Turbo Legacy than trying to do this swap. You also have to change the rear diff, exhaust, fuel system including fuel pump, etc, etc, etc. ALL the wiring changes as well. If you've had that car for awhile, you know that practically nothing, including body parts, crosses over from the NA Legacy to the Turbo Legacy.

It's huge PITA.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

I have seen quite a number of likely cars for you in the past. Of course if you are looking for one none will be available until until you stop looking........

Thats pretty confusing, you wanna clear that up?

I think I found my candidate. Its a '91 LSi Wagon. Its at a local subaru shop and the owner sais the prev owner drove over a large rock or something, put a huge dent under the passenger side seat. The body is straight and I believe the engine is still good.

I spoke with the shop owner, who has like 4 Turbo Legacy's of his own, and he says the swap is pretty straight forward. The hardest part being the wiring. He told me if I have the donor car, the parts will bolt up. I know about the rear diff and everything, that im not conserned with. The fuel lines are something I didnt think of, but am not affraid of. My main concern being the wiring. He mentioned the 2 being completly different, but the '92 Wiring harness should swap over to the 91's body, and small stuff like headlights will need to be worked out.

CCR, I take your word over everybody elses. "It's huge PITA." holds more value than you might think. PITA is one thing, but possible is another. Maybe I can locate a Turbo Wagon and just plop my 5spd in, to get what i want.

hrmmm...

-Brian

Oh i get it. You keep putting the 1st part of your postin the title... i dont read titles. So yeah, confusion set in.

This wagon is kinda beatup, but at the moment its the best price so far. LSi Wagon, Grey, $700... and it comes SMOGGED! :) I dont think i can beat that with a stick. Not to mention, if things dont go as planned, maybe I can have a N/A LSi Wagon and sell off the EJ22T to fund it.

-Brian

• 1 year later...

here is what you need to do to put a turbo motor in a NA legacy

crossmember

fuel pump

boost sensor wiring(not too bad, search legacycentral and nasioc)

turbo exhaust(might as well get a custom 3")

get a 5mt car with a bad motor good body and swap the turbo engine only. unless you have a LSD rear, then make a 4.11 LSD out of it.

Ok, here is what you need to do, and it will be good having both cars complete. The engine and tranny should bolt right in, no problem, after you change over the turbo crossmember. You will have to change the pedal assy since the LSi uses a cable activated clutch and the Turbo is a hydraulic clutch, no problem there either, just unbolt the old, bolt in the new in the same place. There should be a rubber plug on the firewall where the hydralic master cylinder will bolt. You will have to change radiators also. Now, for the wiring, there are two approches here, one is to get the two wiring diagrams and see where the differences are, then splice the wires that are needed into the LSi wiring harness. The other way, simpler but means removal of the dash, is to simply replace the LSi front wiring harness' with the ones from the Turbo.