Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got my 2nd free GL 10 Turbo wagon in two days!

Yep, That's right I picked up my 2nd turbo wagon today. Got Spideyz's 89 yesterday and today picked up a 87. Had not ran since 97. Guy said it had a bad tranny. Again, just like yesterday I threw a good battery in it and it fired up on the first try. I tried to put it in gear and nothing. So I checked the tranny fluid just out of curiosity. Empty! So I put a quart of fluid in and it went into gear. I drove it down the street and up into the driveway. It seems to run pretty good. It does have a problem with the air suspension. The compressor comes on and you can hear air leaking from somewhere. I checked all around the compressor and there really was not much air seeping out of the fittings. But the suspension remained flat. Can I do a strut conversion on this 87. I know it's done all the time in XT-6's. Any help would be appeciated.

Im sure going to try to get it back on the road. Just need to pick up some fresh parts first. Think I might try to fix the 87 too. Found a tranny for it on ebay cheap. It drives but the tranny is real messed up. It dumps tranny fluid all over when you drive it and it has some strange noises going on. Also, you have to manually shift the auto tranny to make it shift. Besides that and being really dirty it seems like a pretty good car. I even got the air suspension to work today, all 4! I definetly have my hands full now with 6 cars at home. Looks like a car lot!

• 5 months later...

I just want to make sure this strut change will work. The 4wd front and rear struts from a 85 gl wagon will fit into my 89 GL10 wagon with no problems right? The air suspension is shot and I am looking at getting a donor 85 GL wagon with the standard 4wd struts to put in my 89. Just need to make sure.

ARG ARG ARG - :slobber::cool::eek:

I am turning green with envy and foaming at the mouth as I sit hear and read

As Rod Stewart said - "Some guys have all the luck ..."

Looks like great projects, enjoy them! :D

dont mean to hyjack this thread but what do you mean by an 85 gl has the adjustable struts? i have an 85 and was just wanting to know.

I know the '85 4WD cars were supposed to have an adjustable front suspenson - I have never seen one that actually had it - though I don't see many - but they were supposed to

All 4WD cars I know of have an "adjustable" rear suspension - but it's a real pain to do