Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 Loyale Oil Leaks

kdavid

Hi,

I am new to this car as of last December. Seems to be a decent runner, but leaks a fair amount of oil. The case is pretty oily, so I need to wash 'er down to see where new stuff is appearing from. It does seem to find it's way onto the pass side exhaust where at least it gets vaporized before hitting the ground... But since my main experience is in older volvos (122 series) where there is significantly less, well, crap all attached to the engine...

2 questions:

1) When I (hi pressure) wash it down, what could I drown? Obviously cover the air intake, and maybe the distributor cap - but what else on these engines doesn't want a direct hit of high pressure hot water?

2) Is replacing the valve cover gaskets just that? Or does it involve other parts (grommets? where?) that I will only realize that I need at 11PM Saturday night with it all apart in the driveway and storm clouds threatening? And is there any advice on what attendant crap (er, accessories) needs to be moved out of the way to make the job easier? Pass side vs drivers side?

Thanks, I really appreciate any help on this before I dive in.

Signed, an old water cooled volvo guy that is trying to learn 'new' technology (okay, it's my kids' car...)

- David

Hi,

I am new to this car as of last December. Seems to be a decent runner, but leaks a fair amount of oil. The case is pretty oily, so I need to wash 'er down to see where new stuff is appearing from. It does seem to find it's way onto the pass side exhaust where at least it gets vaporized before hitting the ground... But since my main experience is in older volvos (122 series) where there is significantly less, well, crap all attached to the engine...

2 questions:

1) When I (hi pressure) wash it down, what could I drown? Obviously cover the air intake, and maybe the distributor cap - but what else on these engines doesn't want a direct hit of high pressure hot water?

2) Is replacing the valve cover gaskets just that? Or does it involve other parts (grommets? where?) that I will only realize that I need at 11PM Saturday night with it all apart in the driveway and storm clouds threatening? And is there any advice on what attendant crap (er, accessories) needs to be moved out of the way to make the job easier? Pass side vs drivers side?

Thanks, I really appreciate any help on this before I dive in.

Signed, an old water cooled volvo guy that is trying to learn 'new' technology (okay, it's my kids' car...)

- David

The valve cover gasket set should include the grommets for the bolts. It will be tight, but you should be able to get it to go - you may have to be creative in getting the gasket to stay in place while you are trying to get it all back together.

Make DOUBLY sure that you cover the distributor cap - there is some kind of optical sensor in there that goes screwy if it gets water in it. Other than that, I think you've got it covered.

Check the Cam Shaft seals, Crank Seal, Oil pump - these are all on the front of the engine. The the cam/crank seals should be pretty easy to find, the oil pump is right where the filter attaches.

Also the Camshaft carrier -> Head seal sometimes leaks. Check that too.

Check the passenger side CV boot - right above the catalytic convertor - it tends to get dried out by the cat and crack and spew grease everywhere...

Thanks Art. I know it's not rocket science, but the last boxer I worked on was on the other end of the car (and, come to think of it, the other end of the AXIS...). I ordered a valve cover set to start with and will keep the H2O out of the distributor.

Appreciate your help.

R - David

The valve cover gasket set should include the grommets for the bolts. It will be tight, but you should be able to get it to go - you may have to be creative in getting the gasket to stay in place while you are trying to get it all back together.

Make DOUBLY sure that you cover the distributor cap - there is some kind of optical sensor in there that goes screwy if it gets water in it. Other than that, I think you've got it covered.

Check the Cam Shaft seals, Crank Seal, Oil pump - these are all on the front of the engine. The the cam/crank seals should be pretty easy to find, the oil pump is right where the filter attaches.

Also the Camshaft carrier -> Head seal sometimes leaks. Check that too.

Check the passenger side CV boot - right above the catalytic convertor - it tends to get dried out by the cat and crack and spew grease everywhere...