Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Springs & struts getting replaced - need tips!!

So I've got Scorpion springs (2" lift!) and KYB GR-2's on the way to me... but haven't tackled this job before. If anyone has experience with this job, please help out! I'm looking for info/advice on tools, techniques, and just how to get it done, in general. I have a Haynes manual but haven't opened it yet. Thanks in advance, all!!

My quick tip for short cut-on front struts cut brake line brackets with dremel tool so brake lines can be removed without disconnecting, so save the bleed ing, broken bleeder screws, etc. cut on end so hose will fit through, but leave enough bracket so the clip will still hold the fitting in place. Will also save on dis-assy "next time"

• 1 month later...

I would just add something to the info accessible thru my previous post above.

I say that i did not have an alignment made cause I thought I had put everything back together exactly like it was.

That was a mistake. Four months and approx. 8 or 9 K kilometers later, I just checked the thread depth on all four tire and here are the results:

Both front tires: 7/32 on the outside and 4/32 on the inside.

Both rear tires: 7/32 inside and outside.

Conclusion: have an alignment made after replacing the struts. It does'nt seem to make a difference at the rear but a lot of difference at the front where one of the bolts is used to ajust camber.