Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hole in radiator from Fast food puddle. Who should pay?

backing up was not an option! I just got my food from the 2nd window! the puddle (lake Wendy) was in front of me with nowhere to go! I couldn't back up because of the 12+ consumers behind me. The entire front parking lot was underwater. I should just call and complain and try to get alot of food out of it instead. I like those spicy chix sands.

did you try backing up?

but seriously, not their fault. and it's been too long now for you to be able to prove that it was their fault. you leave the lot, then as far as they're concerned, it happened after you left.

sorry, dish out the cash and stop blaming people for your mistakes.

are you related to the people who tried to sue McDonalds for making them obese?

I am sorry, but people are dying and losing their homes, because of the hurricanes and you have the nerve to complain about a puddle that your drove through, of your own free will, and ruined the car? So you could get "freakin" (replace word here) FAST FOOD?

I think you should sue mother-nature. We should take that witch (replace word here) down.

YOU ARSE! I lost half my roof, my pool, and my fence and you have the nerve to tell me I shouldn't complain! In case you can not read I live in PORT ST. LUCIE, FL. Say it with me now, "where the eyewall of Hurricane Frances came ashore, which was a catagory two storm packing 105mph winds."

You can't prepare enough for those things. I stayed behind and rode it out while the rest of my neighborhood fled like cowards. So do you see why I am livid at you and Wendys.

In case people do not know, the fan blades on a 99 altima are very flexible. The blades on my 90 Roo aren't so flexible. And besides.....the Roo is a better car that will last 10 times longer than any 5yr car. (anything made recently)

I'm pretty sure that the drive thru is a convenience offered by the chain, not a required part of being a fast food restaurant, GIVEN, it would be a stupid idea nowadays to open a fast food restaurant without one. Now, I will grant that because the property is owned by the franchise, they should be responsible and try and drain the water as fast as possible. The problem being, what was causing the flooding to occur? Was a drain plugged up from the hurricane? If that is the case, then other than having the water pumped into a tank and trucked out, then I don't believe there was much that Wendy's could have done. Also keep in mind that Wendy's was/is defnitely NOT the only one with flooding problems in that area, so it might be DAYS or WEEKS before the problem is taken care of. In conclusion, I hope the radiator repair worked out good for you, and that you sat down and CALMLY discussed the situation with the manager of Wendy's. It helps nobody to fly off the handle in this situation. The damaged was caused by 3 things: 1) Nissan's poor engineering 2) The flooded parking lot and 3) You driving through the puddle (The action of, given you had no choice). In a situation like this, there is no clear answer. I just hope you find one that is agreeable to all parties involved. Good Luck.

The lake was not cuased by France, it was caused by a rainstorm cause by TS Ivan. (go figure) The rear of the restaurant was bone dry but the front of the restaurant (where the drive thru line exits) was underwater. As you can tell I cam in through the rear exit. There is no way to see what lurked ahead due to foilage surronding the establishment and once in line I was unable to see past the sea of vehicle ahead of me. Please remember it was lunch time and I was one of about 15-20 cars waiting in line. There was noway out of this.

How do I post a picture? I have a picture of the damage donw to the rad.

Guest Vickaroo

I myself think Wendy's should pay..... For one they have the ins. and they where open for the sake of the all mighty dollar. Even after the disaster hit... So If they are going to open their doors for the money, they should make sure it is safe for the consumer.... coloradosubarules it may not work, but then again it might... And Im really sorry to hear of all the damage you had. I hope you all the luck in getting your life back in order... Vicky

I am sincerely sorry about the damage to your house and your fence. I can not imagine how much frustration there must be to be in living through a hurricane. Does make me feel fortuate to live in the PNW, and not in the path of a hurricane, and not in Iraqi.

And it does suck that after all that the fan blade ran into radiator and put a hole in it.

The facts are the facts, you left the parking lot, and you have no proof that it happened there, you were out driving in what I would consider hazardous conditions.

And unfortuately, people do have to eat Vickaroo, even if it is Wendy's or other fast food. Some people probably did not have electricity or water, and eating out might be the only choice.

Finally...somone who feels my pain.

After Hurrican Frances there was a boil water order in affect for much of our area. This meant that alot of restaurants we not open because they could not wah their dishes or produce. Wouldn't you know it, Wendys was the only restaurant open but they would not put lettuce or tomatoes on anything. So instead of doing what everyone one else did, they just jipped their customers out of what we ordered. Please remember there was no water in their parking lot after Frances, just when TS Ivan passed by recently. I personally don't think they care about their customers or their employees for that matter. I guess that is why they are called "McJobs." I can't remember the last time I saw the same employee twice at that location. What does that tell you? It's Florida, it rains everyday! IF you are prone to flooding you will flood. The Wendys isn't a new store by any means. Nothing has changed at that store.

I thank everyone for their comments and I will be contacting the local store today to try and get results and if nothing happens there I will take it to the corporate level. At this point I am not so much concerend with my car but with the ongoing problem at Wendsy and the effects it could have on other vehicles.

Thanks again.

Guest Vickaroo

I understand that people had to eat richie... But you can bet your bottom dollar they didnt give it to the people with out getting their money first.... I really wonder if someone drove through and told the manager that his house was blown away and he was hungry if Wendy's would have "given" him some food? (I dont see that happening) Like I said they opened their doors for the money they should make sure it is safe for the consumer... Vicky

If you hit a raccoon or something and it got sucked into your engine would you want them to pay for it because the raccoon was there eating out of their dumpster?

What if a deer ran in front of you? Because they didnt have a fence is it their fault?

If you hit a raccoon or something and it got sucked into your engine would you want them to pay for it because the raccoon was there eating out of their dumpster?

What if a deer ran in front of you? Because they didnt have a fence is it their fault?

good point.

and with how much property damage you said you have, i don't think that getting wendy's to pay for your nissan rad should be top priority

For all those people who knocked me or think that Wendys shouldn't pay....just pray that nothing like this happens to you. I got screwed by one hurricane and am about to get F'd by another and yall think big money corporate america shouldn't pay for my radiator that their Lake (which happens ever time it rains) caused and that they did nothing to try and prevent or warn their patrons about.

If I hit a deer then the deer will be dead and it got what it deserved. If I run over a small animal and it gets sucked into my engine then I am sure it is dead too....and it got what it deserved as well. If Wendy lake flooded their store and cause $180.00 in damage, then we would be even. In the words of the late Brad Nowell of (my favorite band) SUBLIME, "I heard that paybacks a Mother F'in b*tch."

For those of you who think I will just take it, or chalk it up to bad luck....think again. I will get results.

I am kindly asking that nobody else replys to this thread. Lets focus our attention to the real reason why this board was created, our love of Subarus. Not Dumb arses like me driving through a lake in my mother-in-laws 99 Nissan Maxima.

their Lake (which happens ever time it rains)

So you knew about it and know that it happens all the time...

Stuff happens man. Does the insurance on the car cover it?

Maybe Wendy's will cover it...but they have millions of dollars to hire good lawyers who will find a way not to pay for it.

I feel bad for you...but its a puddle. Maybe you can keep a chunk of plywood in the car or a bag of rocks to put over/in the puddle.

Well at least we can all tell you are of sane and rational mind.

I don't feel sorry for you one bit. You live in FL aka hell on Earth. It's like people up here who build houses in flood plains and then cry when it floods. Guess what nature happens.

BTW I hope the next hurricane takes out your computer.icon10.gif

Let the next hurricane take out my computer. I have a contract through Dell, HP, Compaq and IBM, I'm sure getting a new computer won't be a problem. Besides I will just use my laptop until the new one arrives. Wait...I also failed to mention that I am contracted through Blue Current. They could send me a whole pallet of computers.

Without people like me this board wouldn't exist. IT professionals keep this entire planet running smoothly.

I hope the next hail storm or twister takes out something you worked hard for you arse!